Helping another LCO and getting paid.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Sep 19, 2003.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Last fall I helped another LCO with some leaf clean-ups. I used his equipment and he paid me $15/hr.

Lately I've been helping him mow/trim/blow some of his bigger properties with all my own equipment and gas and am wondering what to charge him. I should get more than $15/hr but how much more?

Thanks for any ideas,

Joel B.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

if you are using all your own equipment, gas, and helping him out, I wouldn't go below $50 an hour. Heck, just market to those customers that you are helping out with ;)

3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

^ agreed

4. wacamaster

wacamaster LawnSite Member
    from MI

If he's getting good prices for the accounts I'd say you get 50-60%. I'd spend my time getting my own accounts and getting 100%. What kinda LCO doesn't have his own equipment?

5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

You are a subcontractor

You should charge accordingly.

6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

I see a problem coming, here. You should have had the price all set before the work took place.
    Crawdad

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think it was mentioned that the other guy didn't have his own equipment. He's probably just subbing it because of being busy. When we do this, many of times wewill pay each other either the full amount, or minus around 10%. We do this alot when someone wants to go up north for awhile, or if we get real busy and/or backed up from weather or something, that we are all behind, we swap jobs by location. This keeps me fro driving south too far, when I have plenty to do up here, and vice-versa for my friends that have work over my way. And no, - in no way, do we try to "market" each others jobs. As a matter of fact, if ever asked about anything like that, we just simply decline because of a conflict of interest. Lco's around here, that I sort of consider friends (quite a few or them), make better friends than competitors. That's just a way of professionalism and ethics. Example: Just the other day, I was in my bank parking lot changing a flat on my trailer, when another LCO that I know pulled in. He just saw me and stopped to ask if I needed any help or anything. To me, I thought that was very considerate. I've done the same thing with others (LCO's), and I guess what comes around goes around.

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Runner,
    Great attitude,Keep it and you will do well.

Joel B,
    50% or I wouldn't do it.You won't get rich but I believe you said you are helping him out. If it is long term or becomes habitual,I would have a talk and tell him you cannot run your equipment long term for that kind of rate.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

wow, yur a nice guy. when i was out for 8 weeks, i tried to get others to help me, they laughed. one said, "well, why should i help you? if the lawns dont get cut, you will lose them, and since im in the same area, ill probably end up with alot of new customers." this same guy had the nuts to call me to put down applications on 5 of his clients lawns. he wanted weed and feed. i put down starter fert that i had left over from the previous fall, charged him alot of money, and his clients got on his butt for all the weeds, and the grass that wasnt green. screw him. i wouldnt cut grass for $15 an hour, if u have your own stuff, get your own clients

10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

No one said he should cut grass with his equipment for 15 an hour.
    I am a nice guy!
    I will always try to help IF it is recipricol otherwise you are on your own.