helping my helper star their own company

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mike lane lawn care, Jul 16, 2007.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

okay, so my helper wants to start her own landscaping company, which was her plan when she started working for me, she wanted to learn some of the tips and tricks to property maintinence. I of course will help her, she is getting her buisness degree this upcoming school year when she starts college. She and her fiance have plans to make a combined landscape and contracting buisness, but right now we're just focusing on getting her landscape buisness up and running for next spring. and he can add his end to the buisnes when he goes to college next year.

I had an informal, and rocky start to my company, and want her to get off on the right foot, and be successfull. I know the first thing hat she needs is a bisness plan, which i never bothered with, how does one go about drafting one of these? i'm helping her with everything from getting lisencing, to tax information, to what kind of euipment to buy. we will go over everything that she needs and decide what is best.

any pointers on what i should help her with first, as i'd like to see her get going by the end of the fall, and be ready to go by spring next year.

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Ummmm... Isn't that kinda the exact OPPOSITE of what you need to do? Why in the hell would you WANT an "EMPLOYEE" of yours to become your COMPETITION!?!??!? Yea, thats just great...till she starts lowballing your accounts or something.

3. mike lane lawn care

1. she's starting the company in NY, about 40 mins from here, so that is taken care of, plus she simply wouldn't do anything like that.

2. the reason she started working for me was to gain an understanding of how the buisness works, and learn a few things along the way about lawn care.

3. I have learned a great deal from talking with other companies around here, all of whom are verry willing to share any tips and information they have. it must just be a berkshire county thing, we want people to succeed in their plans.

4. i'm doing this for her, but more for my best friend who is going to be adding his end to the company in a year and a half, and i wanthim to have a stable base on which to build up thier new found buisness.

4. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Please tell me this is a joke.:dizzy:

5. mike lane lawn care

6. mike33087

mike33087 LawnSite Member

OMFG lol ............... you just like to get torn apart dont you? its like a feeding frenzy for the sharks out here lol.

cmon man you cannot be seriously asking this question, you dont teach your "helpers nothing about running a business, just how to keep you making money" even if she does live in NY , i wouldnt mind driving 40 mins if i knew where i could get some good accounts easily for a days work or more..... think before you post, unless you like this kind of attention

7. mike33087

mike33087 LawnSite Member

how old is this chick by the way?

8. mike lane lawn care

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds a lil too young to be engaged.......this business/lowball/clueless fest is going to either end their marriage or end you. You seem to be a lil too willing to do things for ppl. you may want to be careful! And like mike said, 40mins is nothing if there is a full day or two worth of work to be had once you get there.

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

17??? isn't that illegal? or at least the marriage part is