helping nice neighbors

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Jun 24, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We've been fortunate lately -- nearly all neighbors have been friendly.

This afternoon I was checking out possible poison ivy on a commercial property. None there, but I sprayed brush killer on the volunteer trees anyway (no charge cuz they're a very good customer). While I was spraying, the residential neighbor behind yelled, "What are you spraying? Anything good?" I told him what I was doing. Then he said he's fighting creeping Charlie coming in from his neighbors' lawns.

Long story short: I gave him a gallon of pre-mixed Chaser (mixed strong) so he could spray his fencelines where the CC was coming from. He insisted he pay for it, so he gave me five bucks, which more than covered our cost. He thanked me and said, "Hey, aren't you the guy on the TV commercials?" I said, yep. He said, "You guys are good". When people treat me nicely, I'll do the same to them. A little p.r. goes a long way. :usflag:

Anybody else help "non-customers" once in a while? rscvp, thanks

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Nope, everyones nice when they need something. I have one guy that stops me every year around this time. Hes been doing it for years. He pretends to be my best friend, but I dont even know his name. Basically wants me to weedwhack the poison ivy hill behind his community mailbox. I always decline, and his response is it will only take you 5 minutes. Hes never offered money, and I wont do it anyways, you would think by now he would have got the hint.

3. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

i try to be friendly, but offer no advice or help--and certainly dont
    hand out product---american, what if he dumps that (cluelessly)
    into his pump sprayer he uses for roundup, and start killing patches
    of his lawn? dont mean to sound rude, but i had a similar experience
    in the past--learned my lesson

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I never thought of that, but he was a really nice guy (and he was mowing his lawn with a John Deere). He said he was using Weed-B-Gone but will switch to the Chaser I gave him. I guess I took a chance, but I've taken more risky chances before. Good point. Thanks. Sometimes helping somebody out will kick you in the butt, but I will probably keep doing kind things for folks (when it's convenient) if I thinks it's appropriate.

5. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

And what would you have done if he worked for the ag/state chemist office or the deptment of revenue and busted you?

6. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

I have offered advice but have never given out product. There's too much too risk.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Dog gone it...I want to see your ad! :) Can you do anything on youtube or give me a link? :)

8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I do freebies for neighbors all the time... once they prepay for my season package. :D While I can certainly see your point, I'm not well enough off to dole out my goods. I have a simple rule:

IF YOU LIVE BETTER THAN ME (which seems to be most everybody these days, lol!!), WHY WOULD I GIVE YOU A FREEBIE?

9. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

I'll give anyone free advise (inc here on LS) but NEVER free product.. I might hit someones fenceline for free ONCE.

10. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

I have to remind myself of this sometimes because I tend to do too many freebies for people. They're driving a Mercedes and I'm in a Ranger, why am I giving money to them :).