Hemlock help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by philk17088, May 5, 2003.

1. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I have a potential customer who has 58 mature hemlocks with active wooly adelgid. The average D.B.H. is 22", heights are about 40-50 ft. Spraying is out of the question, they are close to a pond and a stream. I'm considering merit soil injections but I'm wondering if any of you have experience using the trunk injectors and which would be more cost effective? Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

2. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Phil,

I have not used trunk injections myself, but understand they work well, but cost more. Soil injection also usually does the trick. However, if ground water or surface water is of any concern to the owner, you might suggest the injection because there is always a potential of movement of any substance in the soil profile, and hence groundwater contamination. Here, we always emphasize environmentally friendly and safe whenever possible.

Best luck!

EG

3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I would second the notion for doing the Merit trunk injection. HOWEVER, you cannot use Merit again next year if you continue to have the problem.

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I use Merit for trunk injections.(Mauget)

FB....Why cant you use Merit in consecutive years???