Hemlock woolly adelgid/Wedgle

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Turf Troll, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

I am looking for input on treating Hemlock woolly adelgid / and if treating with a wedgle direct inject also.
    Thanks

2. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I am only familiar with the wooly adelgid that causes spruce bud gall. We use a spray twice in the spring. Spruce injections are just not effective given the nature of the sapflow. Your case may be different, but have you considered a spray?

3. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I get great control with merit through a Kioritz soil injector. Every time you use a wedgle, you wound the tree.

4. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

go ahead, use the wedgle injecting merit, very good control
    (and the wounding of the tree?? minimal if at all)

5. broske

broske LawnSite Member

The kioritz injector is an excellent tool,us it with merit in the spring time and it controls wooly adelgid and spruce gall adegid.Works great when you treat for birch leaf miner.

6. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Soil drench with merit here. Aslo use injection with the fertilizer probe sometimes. It is important to water the drench in.

EG

7. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I just finished using the wedgle today, I'm about 85%satisfied with it. The Dia. of tree's were 18" to 24" . and some of the injections leaked a little more than I would of liked, with 130 trees to go I suppose I will get a little better. The Koritz is new to me. How far down does it need to go and what do you do when the ground is hard or rocky. How far out from the trunk do you go.

8. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

agreed but I get concerned that you might pass viruses or bacteria from tree to tree.