hemlocks dying

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bobbygedd, May 17, 2001.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

earlier this spring we put in a few hemlocks, they are all looking pretty bad, i thought it was from the drought, but im not sure. it seems the customer is watering, any input would be appreciated.

2. JCurtis

JCurtis LawnSite Senior Member

Two words...

Wooly algid...(spelling)

I have hemlocks in my yard, One day I noticed what looked like little dustlike white pods on the boughs of the hemlock. I called a friend of mine in the tree business, and he looked at it.

I had them sprayed immediately, followed the program and haven't lost on yet.

You need to get them sprayed by a reputable tree company Like Alpine, Barlett etc.. First year three times, second year and on twice a year.

3. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Oil spray in the winter, Malathion (sp?) spring and fall and woolly algeid wont be a problem.

5. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

Soil injection with Merit. Merit is systemic and provides season long control.
    Good Luck,
    Jim L

6. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

Hemlocks are risky business in NJ these days. I will not plant them unless the customer absolutely insists. If I do, then I do not give a guarantee.

If you are not near north jersey, head up to sussex county and go to sparta. There, complete parks have been wiped out by the wooly's. Spray works, but you have to keep on it, and quite frankly, I don't think its worth planting something that you have to try and keep alive. I would look for an alternative (though there are few to replace a hemlock).

Its a shame, but untill they can come up with a total cure, I'm staying away from them.

steveair

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

u think its that white stuff? isnt it kind of early for that? just put them in in march. they just seem really dry and discolored, if that is the problem, any idea what it would cost to spray them? say 5 trees, 6 ft tall?

8. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

You could do a soil drench using Merit insecticide for arround 10 bucks a tree. Merit is labled for Algid and will provide season long control, 1 app. pr year !

Jim L

9. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

GREENS1,

Is there a liquid Merit or will granual around the base suffice ?

I recently sprayed with hort. oil for the wooly.

jeffyr

10. lawnboykb

lawnboykb LawnSite Member

you can't get malathion anymore can you?