henbit now

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Oct 23, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

It began appearing here a couple weeks ago. Got my first service call on it yesterday/spot sprayed it today (customer said he had creeping Charlie).

I know we'll see more & more of it between now and next April.......here's my question:

Do you guys always spray it? (even in December or in March) Or do you tell customers that warm weather will eventually kill it? Or do you "play it by ear" depending on the circumstance?

rscvp, Thanks:usflag:

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If I see the crap, I spray it. I don't know what it is about that stuff, but that is one of my most disliked weeds. It's like it just has alot of nerve or audacity to it. It almost wants to mock you.

3. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

Henbit, chickweed and bluegrass not far from germination to each other. Have not seen to much of it here yet. Small patches here and there. Our last round is next week. It will be a great opportunity to clean house then.

4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Personally, I just spray them. They likely hear "it's about to die on its own" as "I know you're paying me money, but I'm too lazy to deal with it".

Rather, I just take care of it b/c I'm paid to take care of it. I'm a firm believer in educating the masses as to when and when-not to do things, but when it comes to weeds (out here, at least) - that's the primary reason I was hired. So I'm gonna make sure they feel that my bill was money well spent.

Just my two cents.

5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I hear ya, this nuisance weed seems to be a problem on fairly new sod (usually 3 years old or newer) in late fall through early summer---especially in lawns with thin areas or along the foundatuions of the house. I guess it's how picky the customer is?? If it were my lawn, I would just let it die next May.

6. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Spray them in the fall, Your goal should be control it before it goes to seed in early spring.

Then try to sell seeding to thicken up the lawn.

7. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

If it hasn't yet been contaminated with pesticides, you can pick Henbit and put it in your hot pitcher of tea!

8. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Spray it whenever you see it. That is one of the most tenacious weeds out there. I agree with Runner, it's like the stuff is mocking you. I sprayed it with a weak mix of Momentum (once), and that just seemed to make it mad. Sort of like shooting a moose with a .22 short. I swear you can watch that stuff grow.

I did read a study done by U of Indiana, and they suggested spraying it in mid-october. The study said that there seem to be two types, one is affected by 2-4d and one isn't. I usually have good luck with Momentum FX. I have also heard that Spotlight works well too.

And the "thick lawn is the best defense" is a load. I have seen that stuff infest some of the nicest, thickest lawns out there. Just took them over in a few weeks.

9. lescojdl

lescojdl LawnSite Member

Killing winter annuals are a great way to generate revenue in late fall. Usually will have some ester broadleaf herbicides (speedzone) that I'm too scared to use in July left over from the Spring - weeds like henbit usually helps me get rid of what I have left and I get great results.