Her cord won't reach.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Apr 21, 2004.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Lady comes out of the house today to track me down. She's a new customer this year. Matt's not around, he's in the next yard.
    She comes wobbling over, and I'm thinking, "please god, don't let her fall now, I won't be able to get her back up."

Anyways... she says... "You're going to have to cut that over there." I look over and I see a very high strip of grass about 3 passes with a 48. I said, "but that doesn't seem to be your property." She says, "It's not, but her cord won't reach." I'm thinking to myself, 'she's got to be kidding me, her neighbor cuts the grass with an electric mower, and she wants to me to cut what her neighbor can't get to?' She didn't ask me, she just told me, I guess that is what kinda surprised me. So I just said, "ok", because I didn't want to be bothered. Sometimes I feel it is just easier to agree if it is something small, than to come across as a mean person. She did come out and offer me a glass of iced tea after I was done, so I guess she's alright. What would you guys have said in this situation?

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I would have done it. However, if it's a weekly thing, she's gonna have to spring for some cookies too :)

3. Zachary52902

Zachary52902 LawnSite Member

I would have cut it. Also:cool:

4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I would have said.. "Well maybe she needs a longer cord?" (seriously)

I would have done it this time and explained that I did not quote to do part of the neighbors yard. You give an inch and they'll expect a yard... Next time it'll be 4 passes with a 48. :)

5. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

i'm with Lawn-Scapes

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Hate to break up the party but,time is money.
    Once .......O.K...........every week? I'd tell her I would be happy to do it for your neighbor for a few dollars a week.
    Did you quote her lawn to do the extra?

I know,I know..........what a meany,right?LOL.

7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I would have went to the neighbor and said that Mrs. ????? is wanting me to cut the uncut part and maybe we can work something out. I.e. Tryed to lead into a full account. I would say if I cut the whole property every week then it will be X amount. To cut the strip every other week would be x-20%. Most people that I have found are usually more willing to go full out when they have tugged a cord all over their yard.

8. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

I would have cut it, but definetly not everyweek

9. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Someone had to be cutting the grass in the past so what happened to who USED to cut it?

I would of told her I do it this one time, but I would added some bs story that my insurance doesn't allow me to do work on customers that I don't have a signed contract for and being it's on their property, I can't cut it. But I'll break the law and do it this one time only... and then suggest that walmart, kmart, home depot or lowes has 50ft extension cords for like $9.99 that she could use..

Gary

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

tell her what i told an old lady today, "beat it granny, you're holdin me up, i got sh!t to do."