1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Herbicedes... natural? or less toxic?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by hobbsd, Apr 3, 2008.

1. hobbsd

hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi

Ok, so with a ton of research I am discovering that there are no natural herbicides, this leads me to a few questions,

#1 is it true that there are no natural herbicides?

#2 if so, how are all you organic junkies staying weed free?

#3 are there any less toxic or nuetral-chemical herbicides not classified as a toxic chemical (requiring posting)

2. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

vinegar ,fatty acids, orange oils,fiiiirrrreeee the fire thing is a favorite,the name brands, burn out, weedAcide,and i think scythe herbicide, but go research it and let us know what you find please.

wife is going to be happy at the bottom of the list?
  3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Tree gal the pyro FIRE FIRE
  4. hobbsd

hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi

Are there any selective herbicides?

I beleive all the above are non-selective, especially the the roasting option
  5. treegal1

yes there are 2
    1)left hand
    2)right hand
    after that try dilute acids, we are working on something but its a long time to come to be
  6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

ROFL :laugh:
  7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Spot spraying selectives is not a bad thing. You can always do 3 "hail, Gaia"s and move on. What is a bad thing is letting another weed grow back in.
    If weeds keep coming back there is a problem with the horticultural practices, which makes one look bad, as an lco.
    Chemicals have come to the rescue of landscapers who do not yet have a handle on how grass grows naturally. As a result we don't bother to learn much beyond what the label says.
    I will say it again, that grass is the simplest thing in the world to grow. The less we mess with it the better it does. I do not mean neglect it rather help it develop the most favorable environment. Much like giving rabbits a perfect environment. Soon you have enough. :)
  8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Us "junkies" focus on raising grass. We don't raise weeds.
    Weeds grow in an environment where nothing else does. Like moss.
    Dandlelions and moss have one thing in common.

Job security means raising dandlelions so you can spray some 2,4d for extra bucks.
    What part of Chemlawn's 6 step program allows for proper overseeding? Maybe it is in the fall when they charge for aeration!!! Put seed down then :) Wait a minute -- we need 2,4d and mecroprop down now - because weeds may be a problem next spring, when we soak the ground with pre-m. No new grasses then :)

Maybe you didn't mean 'junkie' as a derogatory term. Perhaps you are not mocking common sense grass growing, in favor of traditional 'buy this stuff' for your lawn, mentality. I can't know that :(

Clarify your question please :)
  9. treegal1

a better under standing of how soil and grass work will go along way to helping your plight,how about some specifics.an example would be dollar weed and PH so on and etc.

we stay weed free with less effort long term compared to a chem. lawn that's for sure!
  10. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

When you get Good at the flame weeder:blob2:, it IS somewhat selective, most grass has a protective layer that most weeds do not have, it you cook the weed just enough it will exhaust its resources trying to regenerate the cooked tissue and die, while some of the grass may get slightly discolored. After two or three mowings, if you did it correctly, the grass is back to normal.
    First and foremost everything everybody said about growing grass better is correct, that's really what you want to focus on, but if you have a very noticeable weed here or there, there are ways to deal with them.