1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

herbicide burn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Apr 25, 2006.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i've seen fertilizer burns, but what do herbicide burns look like? i just started, got a new spray unit, and sprayed 35 gallons from my tank on 20K of lawns. When I used to work for my old company we put it down at 1 gal/per 1K. I used 3-Way at 90 oz. to fill up the tank to 60 gallons (1.5 oz. per 1 gallon of water). I'm extremely worried that I put down too much chemicals and might be replacing a couple yards.

If a lawn is burnt by herbicide will it come back?
    I know grass seed doesn't grow in areas where premergence was applied, can sod be put down though?
    How long should you wait to apply another application of herbicide in the same area? (sprayed chickweed in one lawn..they called because speedwell was growing where the chickweed was starting to die. I went back after 5 days to spray the same area)

Please ease my suffering. Or give me the bad news.
  2. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

ok, you already know you went 15gals to heavy (or almost double what you should have applied)
    hows the weather been in Ohio?? if your still dealing with cool temps and you have had some decent rainfall you may be ok (if not you will soon learn what a herbcide 'burn' looks like)

as far as retreating you should wait 2 weeks but that info will be on the label of the product you used. (your "old company" didnt teach this?)

I'd suggest you strat using 2 gals water per 1K until you get your spray pattern and walking pace down
  3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I'd say you smoked that lawn. Were you using 3 way ester? If so you are definitely SOL, cuz that is supposed to be put down at 1 1/4 oz/k. If you used the select amine version, you put down almost double, at max rate. The selctive is a little kinder, but you definitely fried some turf. How badly? That remains to be seen. Pray for rain and cool temps and forgiving customers. I like to use 3gals/k to get started, and use tracker dye also until you figure it out.
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Smoked,fried,burned,no it won't come back..Whatsa matta with you?
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Well nowhere here did you SAY you used Ester 3-way... I'd assume you didn't as most suppliers only stock a small amount of it since mostly you can't use it at all if the temps are over 70.

Are you saying you are seeing burnt tips on the grass? Or are you just paraniod about the eventual outcome?

Iv'e applied 3 way in a lot hotter mix than that and never had much problem with burning the turf.
  6. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

MR. Kosar I'll have to agree with Rosie. I mix Lesco 3-way at 1.5oz./gal. and use a 1gal. nozzle and have no problems, been doing it for years. Just be careful when daytime temps get near your label temp. recommendation. As long as you spot sprayed on your second trip you should be fine. And yes fescue will come back from herb. burn. It burns the tops and with water and mowing, you'll cut off the brown. I burnt a lawn two summers ago adjusting my PG magnum and you couldn't tell a week later that it was burnt. Just follow the directions and be carefull during high temps.
  7. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

and no i haven't seen any brown tips but it has only been two days. I am paranoid. i have a 1.5 gal/per minute nozzle and I realized I was over the proper amount after I had done the two lawns. according to the guy at Lesco I am only 5 gallons over the proper amount so it shouldn't be a problem. I read the directions right I just didn't do a bucket check before going out. It was careless mistake on my part and I am learning from it. I hope everything is alright. Nothing worse than having some word of mouth advertising like this out there in my first year on my own.
  8. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

two days??
    you would notice a problen if there were one
    sounds like you're in good shape