1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Herbicide burn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rundugrun, Sep 30, 2011.

1. rundugrun

rundugrun LawnSite Member

Here's a real dumb one... Back in July, I had a patch of nutsedge in my otherwise beautiful TTTF / KBG lawn. I was planning on spot spraying with halosulfuron. Well, the top wasn't secure on the tank sprayer and I ended up dumping a good amount on a 3ft by 1ft section. I watered extensively and then waited to see if the grass would recover. It did not. It's now overseeding time and the grass seems to be completely dead (brown and pulls right up easily). I have decided to cultivate the soil, put in some more topsoil and then seed. The question is: Should I remove soil from the affected area down a few inches and replace with new topsoil? Should I add anything other than starter fertilizer?

Thanks for the help.

Doug

2. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

Do both and you'll be great!
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Good question. Plant 20 seeds of ryegrass in the affected soil, inside in a coffee cup. You should see sprouts in 5 or 6 days. Use some clean soil for comparison.
    Or as above, replace with new topsoil.