Herbicide edging

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by AAELI, Nov 5, 2007.

1. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you use herbicides to edge along concrete walls, fences and around rock obstacles in commercial or residential locations?

Do you use look for the best residual acting chemicals or simply try to get the fast knockdown so your customer is quickly satisfied?

I realize many of you are in your winter season but out here it is 83 degrees year round with two main seasons... Wet and wetter. This presents problems in making sure of drying time for any application of any chems.

2. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I use Roundup and Surflan (Oryzalin). I do this for several local school districts, to where they have eliminated the weed whipping. I don't do walk edges, but everything else. Twice a year, late May-early June and Late August.

3. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I just use roundup to edge. Nothing exotic is required.

Watch out for those Brown Tree Snakes!

4. watmow1

watmow1 LawnSite Member

I usually use roundup at some wastewater treatment plants I mow to reduce trimming, don't use it on sidewalks, use a power edger there. I wouldn't use it unless the customer approves of it. I'll put 2-4 D in with it sometimes to knock the broadleaf weeds back faster that grow in the bare dirt.

5. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Generic Round-Up.

6. watmow1

watmow1 LawnSite Member

Generic roundup works fine, i get 2.5 gallon jugs for about $40.00 per jug at our local farm store. One to two quarts per 20 gallons of water.

7. watmow1

watmow1 LawnSite Member

If you use 2-4 D, use one quart of 2-4 D and a quart of roundup in 20 gallons of water. Maybe add some sticker agent to it.

8. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I'm with MStine. I also use roundup and surflan for a school district.

I used to keep two guys busy all summer just running string trimmers along fence lines, under bleachers and benches, around buildings. For the past three years, we spray EVERYTHING we can't cut with a riding mower once starting the day school lets out in June. I even kill a 6" band around all our buildings.

I've got a retired TORO mower that we converted to a fence line sprayer with a single spray head off the front deck and a hand wand for what we can't reach. I can drive alongside a fence and spray it fast. It takes us three full days to spray everything at 10 schools but that's better than all summer trimming.

here's my spray rig, if you're interested.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=191379

This year I noticed that I'm not getting the season long control I've had in the past with surflan. I ordered some primitol and I'll be trying that next year.

9. watmow1

watmow1 LawnSite Member

Be careful with pramitol, if you spray in an area that gets rainwater runoff, like around sheds w/out gutters, the pramitol will run off into areas you don't want to be killed even after its been sprayed since it is a residual herbicide. Leaves dead streaks in the yard.

10. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Only see them occasionally. Found one 8' beast while cutting back in the garden.

Thanks for all the posts! I have used Krovar for a longer residual than given by Roundup. I am unable to find Surflan at the local chem shop to mix with Roundup in order to get a similar effect.

I used to (1982-1992) spray miles of chainlink fence on military installations. Used a 300 gal. tank with Karmex/Dalapon. My wife drove the truck this was on while I sat on the tailgate or walked with a 5' long spraywand with a pair of nozzles that allowed me to spray a 1' pattern each side of the fence. This eliminated miles of line trimming plus paid well as it was one of many items on our bid.

The problem we have here is rainfall on the order of 90" to 100"+ annually. Most herbicides will leach out under these conditions within a couple of months instead of the six months they list on their labels.

Any of you have similar conditions? What have you found to be effective?