1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Herbicide expertese needed.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by FloridaG, Jul 27, 2005.

1. FloridaG

FloridaG LawnSite Member

Does anybody know how long Glyphosate (Eraser Systemic Weed and Grass Killer) and Pendimethalin (Lesco Pre-M 3.3 EC turf herbicide) take to break down once used on the ground? Is it safe to use in Florida in August, when the temperature is above 85f? Thanks for all your help!
  2. Is glyphosate safe to use? Are you going to use it as a selective weed control?
  3. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

glyphosate (RoundUp) becomes nuetral when it hits the soil. As far as the Pendi. 3-4 months (depending on your rate) until it's gone.

As for the rest of your question, where are you planning to spray it?
  4. FloridaG

FloridaG LawnSite Member

Thanks Mr.Barefoot for your fast reply. The reason I ask is because I do landscape design, I know nothing about herbicides. Last August 26, 2004 a herbicide mistake happened in my clients yard and a lot more yards. There was a lot of what appeared to be "chemical drift" (according to the local extension office). The Department of Agriculture came out a few days later and took soil samples and the results came back as saying they found "Eraser Systemic Weed and Grass Killer" and "Lesco pre-m 3.3 turf herbicide" The test results said they found
    Glyphosate found 560 ppm(units) 0.2 mdl 0.6 pql
    Pendimethalin found 420 ppm(units) 0.53 mdl 1.6pql

I am not sure what that means, but the grass and trees still look weak and it has been almost a year. Is there anything we can do to help the ground?

The residents started a site with pictures http://www.oopsherschel.com/

They sprayed around 2:00 in the afternoon when it was hot and humid
    link to weather that day http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KNIP/2004/8/26/DailyHistory.html

Thanks again.

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

That Link Seemes To Go To A Site That Is Cookie CuTter Close To A Lot Of Scare Tactic Sites The Environmental Crackpots Have Set Up. It Just Seems Too Well Prepared To Be A Community Or Neighborhood Thing.

If I Am Mistaken Then I Apologize Here And Now,,,,,,,,,just Taking It At Face Value.

6. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Looking at the gallery it looks like some of that grass has a fungus, one picture shows a healthy lawn next to it, Most likely NOT a drift problem. Whatever they used on the sidewalk appears to be sloppy application practices.
  7. If you are looking for the life of soil activity for those products, I suggest you contact the manufacturer.

Tell them what you told us and you should not get ignored.
  8. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

"Activated Charcoal", can be applied in either a liqued slurry or as a granular....in either case it will neutralize the pesticde contaniments, so that plants can grow again :angel:
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I might have to agree with you. My local Rachael Carson puts about the same type of Mis-information.

HORTICULTURE GYPSUM WILL CLEAN CHEMICAL EXCHANGE SITE and leach the chemicals from the ground. However it will take the good chemicals with it also. Therefore reapply fertilizer soon after.
  10. FloridaG

FloridaG LawnSite Member

Thanks for everyone's help and opinions. I appriciate your advice on the soil treatment. Sorry the site raised a fuss, everyone is entilted to their opinions. Gives us stuff to ponder. Thanks again.