1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

herbicide/fertilize license in TN

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jnrogers, Oct 1, 2007.

1. jnrogers

jnrogers LawnSite Member
    from East TN

Guys, can anyone give me a definite answer on what kind of license you have to have to apply fertilizers and grass seed down in the state of TN? My yards need fertilizer and re-sewn badly due to the drought we have had, but I like to do things legally and want to find out what kind of license I need, how much it cost, and where to get it. Thanks!

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

if its your own property i dont think you need a license. no if your doing someone elses then yes. p.s. i'm not from there so i could be wrong
  3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

You are bumming Tn. law is tough, You will need what the state of TN. calls a "Charter"

Don't seek answers to these types of "serious" questions hear on lawnsite unless they are just general questions you will get 30 different answers for the same question. Serious matters like licenses go right to the source to get info, Go Hear and prepare to do allot of reading to get the info you want. if the info is not on the first page that comes up you will need to surf the site.
  4. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

You need neither to apply fertilizer or seed to your own property in this state. That is the least of your problems. What I would be more concerned with is the fact that you have missed the "magic window" of September thru October to seed with Fescue. Spring seeding would be a total waste of time and money. Fescue needs a dormant period (Dec. thru late Feb.) for root developement and maturity to be able to withstand the coming stressful summer months. Spring seeding also interfere's with your ability to apply any herbicides without damaging new seedlings until it is relatively mature. Think about laying down sod if the area is small...otherwise wait until this fall. Sorry.
  5. ccondie

ccondie LawnSite Member

you should not have to have a license if its your own property
  6. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

YOU do not need a license to do anything on your own lawn and anyone can apply fertilizer on a lawn in Tenn. i have checked into this lately but if you are in business you will need a license to apply any kind of herb. or pest. control . plan jane fert. nobody needs a license and that is straight from the head dogs in Nashville.
  7. lawnmower man1

lawnmower man1 LawnSite Member