Herbicide. Is it systemic

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by redspot321, Jul 3, 2008.

1. redspot321

redspot321 LawnSite Member

http://www.pbigordon.com/pdfs/Blade-SL.pdf

This is the label for BLADE ( Metsulferon )

1. Is this systemic or contact?
    2. Do I have to water it in?
    3. How long before its rain safe?

Thanks the llable does not answer this for me..

2. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

RSpot,

Here is some "Homework" for you. When you actually learn how to catch a fish yourself, you will go much farther.

http://www.weedresearch.com/articles/5059.pdf

Be Resourceful and you will be great :)

Pete

3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

1. most all broadleaf herbicides are systemic, other wise they'd be worthless for use to use on a lawn

2. it does not state that it needs to be watered in, so dont. most broadleaf herbicides are absorbed thru the leaf (yes they can enter thru the root, but leaf coverage is best)

3. it does not mention anything about rain or mowing, so i'd go with the re-entry warning, wait for the product to dry. i'd say you'll befine.

an example of a systemic herbicide would be 'round up' (glyphosate), and a contact herbicide would be 'reward' (diquat). round up kills the roots, and reward burns down the leaf, giving very little control over the roots in most cases.

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Pete

Rspot was resourceful enough to tell me 3 way with 2,4-D wouldn't work on St Augustine or Beggar weed and that Weed and Feed was too much Nitrogen. But he fails to see Beggar Weed in not on the label of Blade because it is in the Triazine chemical Family the same as Atrazine. I guess he didn't think his Chev was any good so he bought a Buick.

5. redspot321

1. 2,4 -D Is not to be put on Floratam variety of St. Augustine lawns, which I have. Im sure it would kill beggarweed along with my yard.

2. Nitrogen promotes blade growth in the summer according to my "research". Scotts weed and feeed 29 - 3- 4 would creeate a mowing nightmare in June - July. This much nitrogen is not needed this time of year when conditions are optimal for a nice plush yard.

3. Crepping beggarweed IS in the label, take a closer look.

Thanks for your help!

6. redspot321

Thanks for the input. I have been using Image in the past which kills Broadleaf and grassy weeds and it must be watered in to the root zone. Thats where the confusion was.

7. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Perhaps there is a product within a different "Chemical Family" that would be better suited.

This may be the wrong time of the year to control the Creeping Beggarweed?

Keep looking,

Pete

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Rspot

IMHO Scotts is a big false advertiser and there 29-2-3 turf builder is nothing more than pure Urea nitrogen. Their claim on TV now of a water free fertilizer is pure BS, But all Weed & Feeds are not made with all urea. There are Atrazine granules made in a 0-0-7 blend. 2,4-D will get young Beggar weed but it takes the Dicamba in a 3 way herbicide to best get mature Beggar Weed because it is actually a woody stem plant. But as a home owner you seem to know more than myself who actually taught turf grass management at a Florida University. My 1st language Tagalog has a term for your kind, But there is no equal in English that I can print here.

9. redspot321

These were your original claims against my ignorance. They appear to have some truth. I am a homeowner with a degree in Cardiopulmonary Sciences not Turfgrass. My intentions are to learn here. If you are wasting your time, please dont reply. If you would like to help, please do.

1. 2,4 -D Is not to be put on Floratam variety of St. Augustine lawns, which I have. Im sure it would kill beggarweed along with my yard.

2. Nitrogen promotes blade growth in the summer according to my "research". Scotts weed and feeed 29 - 3- 4 would creeate a mowing nightmare in June - July. This much nitrogen is not needed this time of year when conditions are optimal for a nice plush yard.

3. Crepping beggarweed IS in the label, take a closer look.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Rspot

Your Brain appears to be in Paroxysmal supratrial tachycardia or PSAT. Your Brain is working hard but not absorbing any thing. I believe you are suffering from Craiumrecus.

Chemical companies like Gordon, Riverdale and Nufarm to name a few make several Blends of 2,4-D that are labeled for St Augustine. Tremic, Southern Speedzone, Lesco Threeway and Southern Weed Be Gone are but a few products. The problem with any chemical including 2,4-D comes when fools don't understand calibration.

As soon as you realize Scotts markets only to retail customers because they have no idea what they are buying, then you will start to learn. Do you actually Believe current Scotts TV advertisement of a water less Fertilizer??? As a Medical Tech you should understand Hypertonic solutions and their reactions to intercellular fluid. That is assuming you know Fertilizer is a Salt. BTW Scotts only cost 150 to 200% more than other brands. Someone has to pay for all that false advertising.