1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

herbicide left inside sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bababooie, Mar 14, 2001.

1. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

how long can i leave the herbicide in my back pack sprayer until it gets to diluted,becoming ineffective?do i need to use it up every time i go out?
  2. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

Mr. Booie- It depends on the ingredient. I had round up stored for 4 months and was still effective. If youre talking about trimec or 3 way, then it is best used that day. If let go too long (even stored in cool dry places) the effective ingredient will still evaporate.
  3. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

This is good news.
    I thought that the chemicals would deteriate the diaphram/piston innards?

(I just ordered the SP2 diapram)
    (Thanks for the heads up Kirby!)

As to you, Mr. Booie,
    I would like to take this opportunity to say.....

Thank you

[Edited by Island Lawn on 03-15-2001 at 03:43 AM]
  4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually, the most important concern in storage of mixed chemicals is the acidity/alkalinity and hardness of your water. You need to learn the pH compatability of the product you are mixing - some chemicals can be neutralized in just a few hours when in the right pH. If you do not know the pH of your water, you don't know what effect you are getting. In some hard water cases, some chemicals can tend to crystallize and cause plugging or excess wear on spray system conponents.

Labels will sometimes give time limits to use mix, in the case of products that will deteriorate quickly. Also common sense and pesticide training always points out to just mix the amount of finished product necessary to do the job(s) today.
  5. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

yes i'm using trimec. thanks