Herbicide Overdose

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by redspot321, May 19, 2012.

1. redspot321

redspot321 LawnSite Member

How do these big companies get away with spraying a herbicide every 6 weeks? Is it diluted??

I have neighbors with awesome lawns ZERO weeds seriously. The guy who sprays says there is a herbicide in every treatment.......

Seems to me most herbicides have a maximun number of applications per year. Is this a recommendation or law?

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Are they doing a blanket app on every visit or spot spraying? What herbicide are they using?

3. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

I don't believe that there's a Herbicide in every treatment. In Massachusetts, you can only blanket spray Three-Way or Trimec twice per season. However, you can spot treat until you're content.

4. Skipster

Skipster LawnSite Bronze Member

It would definitely depend on what you're spraying, etc, etc. But, my Trimec label says "The maximum number of spot treatments is limited to 2 per year with a minimum of 30 days between applications."

Redspot, you'll find that most guys who post on this board don't follow label directions. Then, they complain the loudest that other people are the problem when the regulators clamp down on our industry for not following labels.

5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Who would spray lawns without weeds with weedkiller :laugh:

It as much against the law to dilute herbicide below lable rates as this creates resistance.

If you are talking about the 9 treatment program applied every 6 weeks, you likely have
    2 pre-emergent applications
    2 Broad leaf
    2 grassy weed
    3 general fertilizations.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

It is OK to spray more often...provided...you switch to a non 2,4-D product...like Lesco Eliminate.

7. nik

nik LawnSite Member

Some states may regulate against going below label rate. Termiticides are the only pesticide federally required to be applied with the label rates. Go too low here to where the product doesn't work and you could get hit with a fine for using a worthless pesticide.