Herbicide penetration

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ArTurf, Jul 19, 2013.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Do herbicides get better penetration early in the morning vs late evening?
  2. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

There is probably research on this. I don't know but my opinion is whatever conditions favor best contact with the target plant will produce the best results. Using a spreader sticker is an important practice that will increase effectiveness. I don't spray every day or even every week so I can be picky about when I make applications. Wind - finding a calm time - is usually my first criteria. I have sprayed many athletic fields between the hours of 10 pm and 2 am with great results. Honestly, I find most herbicides to be quite forgiving if the equipment is calibrated well and range of label rates is met. I am more concerned with not damaging desirable grasses or, worse, nearby plants than with how well or how fast weeds are taken out. that seems to take care of itself if I deliver the chemical to the plant as carefully as possible.

I know this does not address your question, exactly. I will be interested in what others think.
  3. iand

iand LawnSite Senior Member

basically depends on the temp if it's to cold or to hot the uptake is slowed so if it's cold in the morning it's probably better to wait until later when it's warmed up and the opposite if it's going to be hot better to do it early before it gets to hot
  4. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

5. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

translocating herbicides work better during the day. Foliar burning herbicides work about anytime. Root and stem herbicides work better during ample conditions.