Herbicide question?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lasher66, Jan 29, 2006.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

As I posted before, I am new to pesticides and fertilizers. I was wondering what you guys did to learn all this stuff about the million different herbicides and what each one does? Is there a website for this, that can briefly explain what each herbicide does? I am only going into the turf applications, so I dont need to know about all of them. I guess before I try to go out there and act like I know what I am doing, I want to learn as much as possible. I went to Lesco's web site, but I didnt seem to find anything about what each application of herbicide does. Thanks for any help.

Jason

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

4 years of college did it for me. Then, seminars every 6 months to update on new chemicals. I guess some of this info could be found on the web, but I like the hands on route where the results are right in front of your eyes.

3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

There isn't really a good single source. Here in Utah we have annual trade shows sponsered by Lesco and other local suppliers. They fly in reps from PBI Gordon, Monsanto, Sandoz, BSF and others big Manufacturers. You will get a lot of info at these events but the reps are trying to sell their products and thus they will sometimes exagerate the effectiveness of their product. There is a lot to be learned from talking w/ other LCOs and some trial and error. Here are some basics that apply at least for our area.

Pre-emergents:
    Barricade- works well, lasts up to 8 months if applied heavily but cost a lot, stains a little.
    Dimension- Works well up to 4 mo, medium cost, doesn't stain
    Pendimethilum, (lesco Pre em, Pendulum)- Works well up to 4 mo, cheap, but stains everything (was actually developed as a Dye and was accidentaly discovered as a pre emergent

Post Emergent Herbicides
    3-way, Triplet, 992-All the same AI(active ingredients) good all around broadleaf weed control for turf, not very expensive, not vey fast, not real good in under 55 deg no good under 45 deg.

3-way ester, Super tri-mec- Same AI as above except they use 2-4-D ester so they work faster and in cooler weather. They cost more and may become volatile over 80 deg.

SpeedZone- Same as above except has Carfentrazone which kills weeds even faster tends to burn Mallows before actually reaching the roots.

Specialty herbicides like Momentum and others have added herbicides to kill hardy weeds like Oxalis and Spurge.

For insect Contro nearly everyone is going to pyrethoids and bifenthrins because of liability. I don't know what bugs you have in your area so you'll just have to talk to your supplier. All I can say is go commercial Home Depot stuff is nearly always diluted. If you ever get stumped by a bug Malithion kills nearly everything as long is it's on the Label.

Hope this helps, if you fertilize well and apply good pre emergents things should go smoothly, by July I am mostly just applying a dry fert and doing spot weed sprays, I can do 20-30 lawns with 4 or 5 gal. Keep an eye out for bug damage, if caught early it's not bad.

4. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

www.cdms.net has just about every pesticide label you might need.

5. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

6. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Of which, the UNLA show just came and went and feb 9-10 is the UPC/LCA conference for those of you in Utah and the nearby areas. you can call reagans, lesco or the state ag dept for registration info.