Herbicide solution too old?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Jun 20, 2011.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I recently did some experiments with Gordon's T-Zone herbicide.
    I was surprized that it was fully effective even when used 39 days after mixing. I used about an ounce per gallon.

So perhaps (if confirmed) this means we need to worry less about disposal if a herbicide solution remains in the tank for longer than expected. There was no fertilizer mixed with it. No amonia or strongly alkaline conditions.

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I know that sulfentrazone, 2,4-D, dicamba and triclopyr are stable in neutral-mildly acidic solutions.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen some Herbicide appear to of gotten stronger the longer they had been mixed. Most herbicides like an acid carrier however some like it alkaline. Certainty is one that I add Baking Soda to.

Riggles

Nothing to do and all day to do it gets old after a while. Either get a hobby or go back to work because you haven't taken a day off Lawnsite since you retired.

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

True. I know of one banana that keeps Certainty mixed in a 2 gallon hand sprayer. He had really inconsistent results. When he first mixed it, it would work ok, thereafter, it was a crapshoot whether it would burn the grass or fail to kill the weeds. A good reason why I will not keep hand cans or backpacks with premixed solutions, every lawn gets a fresh mix.