herbicide test

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Jan 13, 2013.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I dug up some clumps of winter annual weeds and moved clumps indoors in cups in potting soil and allowed two weeks for growth to resume. I then sprayed them with one of five herbicides and kept an untreated control. Best control was produced by Speedzone and T-Zone which were very similar, next was Quicksilver, next were a 3-way and Drive which were almost equal. Untreated control looked healthy. Photo at 4 days after treatment.

Mysterious, this was an area infested with chickweed last year, and I thought this was young chickweed. Now I am thinking it is not chickweed--the leaves are really small. Does anyone know what kind of weed it is?

S3500011.jpg

2. TurfWerks

TurfWerks LawnSite Senior Member

Parsley? I can't see well on my phone..
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Ferris68

Ferris68 LawnSite Member

Thats an interesting test. Thanks for posting. I am curious as to what the cost difference would be if you mixed 3/4-1oz per Acre of Quicksilver with a cheap three-way versus the SpeedZone.

My guess on the weed is Henbit. But its a bit difficult to tell from the picture.

4. RigglePLC

A followup: T-Zone was best; Speedzone almost as effective, followed by Quciksilver, 3-Way and Drive. I am still not sure about the species of weed.

5. noweedshere

noweedshere LawnSite Member

Guessing either a bedstraw or a speedwell variety. Any flowers?

6. RigglePLC

7. noweedshere

Speedwell has been a glowingly noticeable problem here in ohio past few years. Seems to have prospered from warmer/earlier than usual springs. Seeing mostly corn speedwell here with the blue-purple flower come spring.

8. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Could it be a thyme?

9. noweedshere

Thyme leaf speedwell, also a variety

10. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for this, will be switching to t-zone this year.