Here are a few water features from this year.

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by tdmill2, Feb 9, 2009.

1. tdmill2

tdmill2 LawnSite Member

Hi,

This is my first time posting. I've enjoyed reading and viewing everyone’s work for quite some time. Just thought I would share a few pics from our water features installed this year.

I would love to get some constructive criticism. I'm really trying to create natural and artistic environments using water.

So, let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Travis

IMG_6296.jpg

Img_6927.1.jpg

IMG_7141.jpg

IMG_8363.JPG

IMG_8610.JPG

2. scooterbug311

scooterbug311 LawnSite Member

i like all of your work. did you do the hardscaping as well? i like the different size rock that you use. i really like the moss. that adds some real nice detail to your streams. I think the only thing i could suggest is maybe using some small river rock and pea gravel in the stream beds themselves to add the icing to the cake. maybe have done that and you dont like that look but i have found it adds just the right touch. keep up with the great work. Where are you from?

3. tdmill2

tdmill2 LawnSite Member

scooterbug,

Thanks for the reply. I did all of the hardscaping as well.

I've been thinking about using some smaller gravel/river rock, etc in our streams. However, my thought is that it's easier to clean and maintain a feature with stone that will stay put. It seems that the smaller material will move around while blowing out leaves or during a spring cleaning.

I've also followed up on a stream installed by another company where small river rounds were used near the pondless basin and some of the gravel had been sucked into both pumps. The pump impellers were jammed and the pump intakes were damaged.

Does anyone else have thoughts on using small gravel/river rock in pond free water features?

4. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

In any Water Feature utilizing an in-ground reservoir, I would stay awau from pea gravel. Use only Egg Rock or larger. Just for the reasons that you yourself stated.

5. XStream Aquatics

XStream Aquatics LawnSite Member

I've used pump socks(small mesh bag with draw string) over the pump before to keep pea gravel away from impeller.

6. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you ever have a problem with it clogging.

7. XStream Aquatics

Home owners check it monthly as part of their routine maint.

8. XStream Aquatics

I have done this once before on an existing pondless installed by another company.

pump [800x600].jpg

9. XStream Aquatics

sorry I forgot to say what I did. We used the bottom of a container, it was a little bigger than the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket, yeah some gravel might fall in the bucket but most fall to the bottom of the basin.

10. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Say what? Your customer actually check thier features out.