Here Come the Maple Leaves

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by JCR1709, Aug 26, 2005.

1. JCR1709

JCR1709 LawnSite Member

Planning to use my new (ish) Fastrak 20/52 to mulch the mountain of maple leaves that will be coming down this fall here on 2 acres in New England. I hope to blow the leaves out of the corners and crevices of the yard and "Fastrak" them!

I do have the new mulch kit and a set of the new "fusion" blades. If anybody has any experiences with mulching leaves should I:

1. Run over the leaves with the regular discharge chute a few times during leaf season as they come down.

2. Then maybe install the mulch kit to chop them finer. Perhaps the mulch kit can handle the leaves without first discharging?

or

3. Any other creative solutions to dealing with lots of leaves short of finding a maple leaf eating goat or something! :D

4. At what height should I run the deck at when cutting and or mulching leaves?

5. Also, does anybody know if the new fusion blades are appropriate for mulching?

Thanks in Advance...This site has been an awesome source of info and help for a novice! I am sooooo glad I chose the mower I did...with the low seat height and low center of gravity being the main selling point for me. About 1 acre of my yard is a 20 degree grade...but the view is worth it! The Fastrak sticks to the hill like glue as long as I slow down when going down. Although my old Honda lawn tractor did pretty good considering the landscape, I can get the job done in LESS than half the time! Maybe I will have time to watch some NFL this fall!

2. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

If you can start mulching as they first fall you will be a head of the game. I have seen they do a great job on white oak leaves in the fall. I think you will be happy. I would say start with the mulch kit and stay with it. We have people here who mulch year round because of the look and the job these kits do.

3. markindetroit

markindetroit LawnSite Member
    from detroit

I would suggest you look into a blow out kit for your mulcing of leaves. It prevents the small pieces from blowing out from under the deck and will make your cutting look very neat. It also prevent multiple passes to hide the small pieces. Just a suggestion but I found it a huge benefit for my super z.

4. trucke

trucke LawnSite Member

I mulch maple, oak, and poplar leaves here in North Carolina with my 20/52 FasTrak using the mulch kit. It will do the job just fine. I use a backpack blower to move the leaves out of the beds and away from the base of trees. You will find you need to go over them about 3 or 4 times. If you wait until they are all on the ground you will have to go very slow. As suggested in the post above, mulching them as they fall is the best way to go. When you're done you will have converted those leaves to almost powder. I use the standard mulching blades and run the deck height the same as when I mow grass. I tried to go over them without the mulch kit, but I just ended up 'chasing' the side discharged leaves all over. Most important: Wear a dust mask and clean the pre-filter after each mulch job!