Here come those summertime callers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by topsites, Jun 17, 2006.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I know this kind, call me now to hire someone to cut that grass 2-3 times when the heat hits 100+ and the kids are out of school, then come september they take over again.

I'm charging extra for it this year.

2. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

You bet Tops!

These people either paypayup or they find someone else.

I had that happen to me the week before Memorial day - Never again...

kc

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Yep same here, Its either a 12 month contract or either a 50% markup on basic service...........take it or leave it.

wayne

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

only 50? :nono:

5. grass_cuttin_fool

Am I too cheap Rod ? lol

wayne

6. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

7. grass_cuttin_fool

I may not like it but I dont have much of a choice, I can either pay it and ride or choose to stay home. I try to keep my routes as tight as possable and not waste gas.

And yes I ask for the 12 month commitment for the yard and if they dont want that or they just want a seasonal service then yes I do mark it up. Ive been walked on and had others feet wiped on me enough. Ive took jobs and they cancel out shortly and Ive made room in my schedule for them and maybe even turned down a potential full service customer. This year was the straw that broke the camels back, like someone else has in there line here ''I can go broke sitting at home'' sorry for the rant but its just the way I feel......

wayne

8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Yea I got a couple of those calls today.......I don't pay these ppl. any mind. Most of them are in areas I don't want to service anyway.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

just that dad alway told me wayne, "charge accordingly" :laugh:

10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

At least by this point, the grass is no longer growing an inch a day, and summertime callers tend to not be the tire-kickers that call March-May...