Here comes Santa Claus

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to "Deck Chains Suck Part 2"

....And here comes Lawnsite Santa with your Christmas present. Yes you guessed it, a tiny invention Santa, the Elves and I have been working on and field testing to neutralize those sucky deck chains.

Since I'm giving away my million dollar invention, I couldn't afford to have Santa deliver the necessary hardware and materials. So here is a list of what you will need.....

4 - Heavy duty L brackets bent by the machine shop and bored
    4 - Heavy duty eye bolts
    8 - Washers
    8 - Lock washers
    8 - Nuts

Lock nuts can be substituted for the lock washers and nuts if you prefer. I just find them harder to adjust is all. Also you can replace your existing chains with either 4 regular links or 2 large links if you like.

Take the top bolts completely off one at a time and install the L brackets where they lap over the deck carrier to prevent slippage. Then install the eye bolt on the chain. Add the jam nut, lock washer and washer to the eye bolt. Install the eye bolt to the L bracket with the other washer, lock washer and nut.

Once all four have been done you can make the fine adjustments needed. At that point you can trim off any extra bolt sticking up that is not needed for your range of adjustment.

Merry Christmas to all...........

dsc_977.jpg

2. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

hey lawn santa, i dont claim to be the smartest elf around but i've never noticed a problem with my deck chains. what is the problem you've had with them?? i will say that one time one of my chains got a kink in it and the deck would'nt set level for sh@t. took me forever to figure out what was wrong but thats only happened once.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Well scaper, the problem I had was when I actually had to 'adjust' those chains. I found it to be a real pain. Also adjusting to make the cutting height match the indicator, getting the deck perfectly level from side to side or making fine deck pitch adjustments are...well lets just say, less than fun. Those serated head bite/grip nuts work against you. On one side they tend to want to climb up as you torque them down tight, while on the other side they want to climb down.

With my conversion, once you get all four on, you can crank the deck up until it is the correct height and level. Then you can raise the rear up an 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 just whatever fine adjustment you need to get the best cut.

The eye bolts make precise adjustments a cake walk with one wrench and with the L brackets mounted correctly, it never just slips out of adjustment.

Merry Christmas

4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

thanks MR. Envy Clause for that one. Seems like a good idea, if i only had a real mower to put it on:dizzy:

5. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

I know where ya coming from on this Envey. I hate adjusting deck pitch!. I was a little puzzled at how it work to start off but taking a closer look I can see how this little invention of yours would be benificial.

Why are you posting it here and not selling it to an MFG?

Great idea mate!

Merry Xmas.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Envy, you've reinvented the system that Dixie Chopper has been using forever. Dixie just uses a different chain.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Well, I wish I had known that before hand. It took me a while to think that solution up when I could have just copied off DC. But we don't have Dixie Choppers around here anyways. Where were you when I was griping about the adjustments in the first place?

You could have offered some pictures and saved me some time. ;)

The chains in the picture are the factory chains. I just dropped a link to install the brackets and bolts to see how they worked out. I didn't want to go to the trouble of changing all of that before making sure the idea worked.

As of now, they are still that way because I haven't found the right size chain yet. It seems the factory chains are in between the standard sizes that can be found at Lowe's or Home Depot. But that's OK. It works just fine as is. One day I'll learn how to measure chain and order some the right size in links of 4.

8. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

You know I want from santa is a single lever height adjustment on my TTHP. It dont take that long to change height one pin at a time, But when you do it a few times a day, It gets to be a pain.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Dixie's "eye" bolt portion is on the deck end, in effect turning your system upside down. They use a roller type chain similar to a motorcycle chain.

Don't feel bad, I have come up with "new" inventions before only to find out someone else already markets it.

I do have something really neat to share with my fellow Lawnsiters. I will be taking pics shortly and to my knowldege there is nothing else like it. Anybody can make it with 5 bucks worth of lumber and the problem it solves has been discussed here at Lawnsite many times.

Stat tuned!

10. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

Get a Sentar! One handle height adjustment. I love mine. Takes less than 2 seconds to adjust the deck.:D