Here comes the calls for one time apps

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Feb 22, 2014.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Here in North Carolina we are starting to experience days in 60s and nights in 30s. With all the rain we've had the winter weeds are in full bloom. I've seen henbit double in size in what seems like just a few days.

So the problem I run into is all the warm season turf is fully dormant and the weeds stick out likes sore thumb. I have already started getting calls for one time apps to kill the weeds they see.

I try my best to sell the full program and if works some. At the same time I don't want to price my one time app too high we are talking a pre/post mix that might cost $25 per acre. So it's a good money maker for me...much more so than a Fert app.

Anyone else getting these calls? How do you handle them? I've been charging $5 more for just this one time app and still getting the jobs.

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

$5 is cheap. I want the equivalent of one month for a one time because it is just as much work. Not to mention, no such thing as a cut rate application that will not do the job and keep the weeds down. I use Gallery, Speedzone Southern, and Manor on one time broadleaf treatments.

3. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I don't spray anything special for one time apps. Right now I'm spraying a 3way/atrazine/prodiamine mix and that is what I spray on all jobs whether one time or regular customer.

I have been adding and extra $5 to the price of a one time app in hopes that the value of the full program will be more appealing.

I guess I need to find that threshold of regular program price apps vs one time app price. I don't want to lose business because often those one time app clients call me year after year and allow us to do other things. However I would love to get everyone on the program.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  4. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I only charge a regular app price for one time apps but it is with the understanding that they will be done in route with other customers in their area...unless it is a M&A (measure and apply).

When I worked for chemlawn 20 yrs ago, we charged 1.5 X regular app price in an effort to "discourage" one time apps. And, many times it worked...but they didn't take the program either. :hammerhead:

In my opinion, the bottom line is...well...the bottom line.

I take all I can get.

5. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

1.5 x regular app price sounds like it is more worth a 1 time visit. I guess it all comes down to how hungry we are for new work?

6. greendoctor

I do. When that one time app cleans up a lawn and keeps it clean, that is the most convincing argument that the hard headed DIY routine has reached its limits.

7. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I do agree, but you need to charge accordingly.

I learned a long time ago if its not profitable, its not worth doing!

8. greendoctor

Read my first contribution to this thread. What I charge for a one time clean up of a weed patch is equal to a month's worth of applications or starting at $140 and going up in proportion to the area covered.

9. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

We won't do one time apps because....well, just because. One time apps leave customers unhappy in the long run. I'll almost always get them to commit to spraying pre and post 2x......then later on committing to the full program.

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the idea that it is a valuable sales lead--a good opportunity to sell them a full or almost full program.
    -Stress the idea that a good lawn needs continuing care
    -Remind the one-time customer that weeds, crabgrass and grubs will return
    -Mention that a thick lawn needs regular feeding--football fields look good because professional groundkeepers keep the soil fertility levels at optimum levels