Here comes the snow....

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Apr 16, 2008.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Once again a spring storm to mess up our schedule. Just started at my house 10 minutes ago. But on the bright side, it will help out the major brush/wild fires down at Fort Carson, Ordway, and Carbondale. Three people died yesterday fighting them. Hats off to 'em....

This will help and hinder scheduling. Cancel tomorrows stuff, possibly. But maybe another cool mild spring will have people slowly calling and not in a panic when it gets hot out. Last spring was pretty good and consistent, not overwhelmingly busy. I wasn't as much of a jerk on here last spring :) Or some of you may differ......

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I offered a $5 discount for those calling before 4/5 . Let me do some sceduling in March.
    It has been keeping the phone managable so far . Yesterday was 28 , thats the highest so far .

3. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got in a few minutes ago. Temperature has dropped like a rock. Guess we'll be getting your snow in another 10 minutes.

4. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

make that 5 minutes.............snowing already!

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yesterday was our highest too, 38. And one install call that I referred to Tom. Hope they called ya. I have been leaving open a few large blocks of time for my second tech, so he can do re-scheduled jobs.

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Last yr it snowed on the 3rd day of start ups. What a sceduling pita that ended up being.

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

You need a all weather service truck.

DSCN0138-Bess.jpg

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

April 24th and May 23rd last year. I always write it on my calendar so I have ammo to feed my customers that complain. The one on the 24th was big at my place. Knocked down tree limbs that knocked out power for 12 or so hours. Maybe more, can't remember.

Oh well, I'm used to it. Just roll with it nowadays. I do remember one job, around 1995 or '96, and it was on May 15th. I was repairing a bonnet and ball valve crack, chilly morning, up in the foothills, Peregrine neighborhood. I heard a POP from across the road at another house. Really didn't think much of it. then a few minutes later I heard the water rushing. PVB had frozen and bonnet got pushed out. I turned it off for them at the PVB, rang bell, nobody home, left a note, but they still didn't call me. My point was that it can still freeze here in mid-May.

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I knew it would happen, tech repaired one on Monday, broken bonnet today. Beautiful. he said he did tell them to drain or insulate the backflow. Good thing is he's working 2 minutes from there right now.

10. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

Just getting ready to go into the ground up here; last week we had a freak 8" snow dump and this weekend we're in for more snow and a high of 18F.... dammit, this is just annoying now.