"here is my counter offer"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 9, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

wow, what a pain in my butt, i should have known better than to even return his phone call. i think u know who im refering to. i call him back in reference to his inquiry about lawn service. he has sq. footage available as so snd so fert co. was just there and gave him a quote and measurments. 9 k lawn, how much to cut? i know props in that area, so i tell him $32 +tax, weekly, cut and wacked every week, edged every other week. he says ok, here is my counter offer . ill pay $25 cash, each week, when u r done. i said nope. he said, ok, u only have to do the weedwacking, and edging, once every month, and i will pay u $25 cash, each week. i said, ok, u got a deal! ill be there as soon as the snow melts. yea, like hes ever gonna see me.

2. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Oh yeah,those are those P.I.T.A. customers that we all want:confused: :dizzy: ,,j/k

3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I had a few over the years who said they didnt want the weedtrimming done each week. I refused as it is a bad reflection on you. Passerby's do not know you made this arrangement with the cust. and just think you did a lousy job.

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

My response would have been:

"my price is what it's worth for me to do the job, if it's not acceptable to you, I suggest you call another lawn care service."

As it stands now, He thinks you're coming and when you don't show up, this gives you and all the rest of us a bad name.

Either call the guy back and stand up to him and get your price, or call him back and tell him you cant do it for that price.

Don't leave him thinking you're coming when you have no intention of showing up at all. This is a juvenile and irresponsible way of running a business.

Sorry if I misunderstood, but it sounds to me like you left him with the impression he can count on you to do the job for him, and it also sounds to me like you have no intention of ever showing up at all.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I had a couple of customers like that before. They didn't want me to do trimming, but I said sorry trimming is included in the price. If I don't do the trimming and someone driving by sees me mowing and I am not doing the trimming it reflects very badly on my business. That is how a bad reputation is spread.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

this is my intention. juvenile? i dont know. im showing him the same respect hes showing me. not only does he not care to pay me what im worth, he is also suggesting that i am a tax evader. his counter offer was a suggestion that i pocket the cash, and not report it. this is the kind of guy who goes from service to service jerking people around. he is also the kind of guy that will screw u around each and every week when u show up to cut. o, u missed a spot, o, what about the weeds in the beds, u r gonna pull them, right? i thought it was included. ive dealt with his kind, and i usually dont return the calls when i hear the accent. me not showing up is just a payback for the poor sucker he is gonna jerk around.some poor, unsuspecting new guy, trying to feed his kids, is gonna fall for this schmuck, and is gonna get boned.

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Then they would be right, because you would have done a lousy job! LOL I do have one that some parts of it get trimmed every other week (along backside of wooden fence, long strips of grass around short small stumps about 4" diameter that the mower can't go over easily) it's at my neighbors and I do not get paid enough there, they're elderly and could care less and people don't see it unless they are walking around in the yard. I can go do it when I have spare time or usually just do it every other week....

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Bobby, I would have avoided him like the plague also but I would not have told him that I would there. Life is too short to have to deal with difficult customers.

Gravely_Man

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Spring Is Here FUN IS!
    John

10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Bobby, come on now, my kids say the same thing to me. "Well, Johnny hit me so I hit him back." Yes, I think your handling of this situation is WAY juvenile.

Boy you're sure reading alot into this. Tax evader? :eek:

So you're screwing him around is probably what will perpetuate him screwing around other lawn care companies after you go on to other things.

Your attitude sucks. Flame me if you want to but two wrongs NEVER make a right, EVER. Your behavior reflects on all of us and brings our already poor image even further down.

Oh, and you can see the future and somebody has made it your job to doll out paybacks for future misdeeds.

You have been here for a while and I cannot believe I'm hearing this from an grown man with experience in the business. If you don't like his attitude simply say "No thanks I'm not interested in taking the job. Have a nice day." Why piss him off to landscapers?

I can't believe there are not a deluge of people condemning this attitude from some of the respectable businesses represented here on Lawnsite.

I can't believe a Moderator has not chimed in denouncing this practice.

It's a bad attitude in any country and there is no excuse for it.

I would also warn you that what you sow that you will also reap.

Just my opinion but I think your sucks. I'm surprised cuz I've heard different from you in the past.