Here is my problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Apr 11, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

How many of you have backup trucks, or multiple vehicles in your fleet?. I am thinking of buying a newer truck and use my current one as a backup, or simply for another crew. Plus I hate having to worry about fixing my truck, when it brakes. Should I buy a newer one, I have about 50 weekly accounts (residential) 30avg per cut. What made u all decide to purchase a new truck?

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

its cheaper to find a good shp, keep the mechanic and manager well-fed with regular diet of fresh coffe and bagels (even when your vehicle isnt in the shop; this is key), and this will assure speedy repairs when the need arises.

3. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

Having some sort of backup is good. I needed to put a new clutch in mine last year. Of coarse the one the parts place got didn't fit so I was out of a truck for 3 days. Luckily I could borrow the father inlaws f150 short bed.

I work in a motor pool if you do decide to get a back up drive the truck that is in better shape more often this will increase the amount of time you get before needing another truck. So many people get the new vehicles and let them sit because they don't want to wear them out.

4. L&B

L&B LawnSite Member

Have you considered leasing? We lease (red carpet) our F-250 crew cab. I know it's a bigger payment, but for 3 years all we have to pay for is maintenance costs, excluding tires. Considering all the wear and tear we put on the truck I figure we come out ahead.

5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I brought me a new Chevy Silverado 350 last yr.But kept my 85 Silverado i put new tires on it and a new 350 engine which has only 19k plus new gas tank and rebuilt tranny,it runs as good as my new one.So its a verygood backup.Ive been in that spot where i had to borrow my dads,brothers,ect truck when tranny went in other truck. Insurence is reasonable and plates are 35bucks. Marks Mowing Service