here is somethimg that your gravely dealer does not want you to know

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by draftlawncare, Mar 9, 2004.

1. draftlawncare

draftlawncare LawnSite Member

i happened upon a little red book today that breaks down gravel dealerships into certain levels 5 all together. the level decides what price the dealer pays for a mower .... example level one on a 260z with a 27 command kohler the price is $6879.20 level 5 on the same mower is $ 6191.28 that does not include freight and labor of putting the mower together . Just thought i would post this so you can have some ammo when it come to dealing with a dealer > my dealer acts like he is taking a beating when he sell me a mower for $ 8000.00

2. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Just like any business remember overhead. lets see===insurance,rent,taxes,fica,wages,equip,trucks,tools,retirement, 2 to 3 hours to put a mower together out of a crate. Other bills ===gas,elec,phones,ads. There is alot of bills for our dealers.Yes it sucks knowing what they make on a mower but think what everyone elses markups are (grocery,gas,wal-mart etc.) I think it works well if everyone meets in the middle.Buying demos and at end of years helps also so dealer doesn't pay financing floor space storage on a mower just sitting around.

3. terracare

terracare LawnSite Senior Member

You sound like a lawn care customer.

Todd

4. fivestarlawnken

Todd
    Are we talikng about the starter of the thread???

5. terracare

terracare LawnSite Senior Member

yeah I was joking around

6. draftlawncare

draftlawncare LawnSite Member

yeah fivestar i know a little about overhead as i also sell audio equipment and have to deal with storage space, showroom freight, taxes ,advertising, rent, returns etc. I just thought others would like to know what the dealers have in these units. Could come in handy when negotiating a price on a piece of equipment.

7. fivestarlawnken

not a problem no offense to anybody!

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Most manufacturers do the same program. The more you sell the better the price to the dealer. Cars,Boats, RVs, Motor cycles, Equipment, all the same .

9. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

YEP - NUFF SAID!

10. rtyus

rtyus LawnSite Member

One thing we have to remember is if the dealer pays 6191.28 plus freight for that mower and sells it for 8000.00, the cost of the mower is paid first. Then, his building costs, workers comp, salaries, ss, electric bill, EVERYTHING else comes out of the 1500 or 1600 that's left. That doesn't seem like a large markup to me.