here is the deal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LCME, Aug 5, 2005.

1. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

my brother-in-law (BIL) agreed to let me use his trailer for mowing. if, i would discount his weekly lawn mowing. this is my second year mowing for him and using his trailer. then, one day he says to stop mowing for a while till i get caught up with the money. i sent him invoices at the end of the month. 2-1/2 months go by and he never pays but hey he is my BIL and he is letting me use his trailer. so, i let it go for awhile. then, i finally get a check for $75. he writes on the pay stub, credits for using his trailer and some lawn damage. i'm thinking what the... so i just give him back the trailer and stop mowing. he still owes me $225. but, i'm not getting it from him because he says you used my trailer and you owe me wear and tear on it. what would you guys do in this situation?

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Give him his trailer back stop service at his house and just let it go. Holding a grudge against family over 225 is hardley worth the aggrivation. Maybe you should of just told him forget the bill and just give u the trailer and call it even.

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Let it go for that amount. He's a relative which makes for a no so good business partner. Family and business don't always mix. My guess is that you were starting to become successful at some point? Maybe a little jelously slipped in? The old saying neither a borrower nor a lender be is still good today. If you start a family war over 250 bucks that is not good. You gave back the trailer already so I would tell him you are in disagreement over the wear and tear becuase it was not negotiated from the start. Hopefully you've banked up enough to find another trailer.

4. LCME

i did give him back the trailer, told him i'm done mowing your lawn and we are all set. but, lately it's kinda bugin me that he did this. i know i just need to let it go...

5. LCME

i'm saving, but not enough yet. lately i have been renting a uhaul weekly to lug my equipment around.

6. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Come christmas time, put the invoice in a box and wrap it. Then, let him open it in front of all the family. Actually, that is probably not a good idea, but I'd love to see the look on his face.

7. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Quit mowing the BIL, give the trailer back. No further action taken on this problem.

In place of his "account" pick up another one.. make it a good one. That account is now making your trailer payments.

Or is that too simple?

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Can't you get a loan for a trailer???

Go to the bank, get a credit card, whatever you need to do.

Renting will get you nowhere.

9. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

How bad do you need use of his trailer? If you must have it to work, I'd do his lawn for free. Unless of course its a huge yard.

10. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

if it was my situation. I would have cut it for free as a thank you for letting me barrow his trailer.