here is the hypothetical situation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Jan 21, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

You have an older truck, and a trailer, along with assorted handtools, shovels, wheelbarrels, gas hedgetrimmers, weedwhackers etc. The only mower u have is a 32" commerical mower, and a 21" for the small areas. What do u buy next, assuming u have $4000 to spend? I figure with 35 weeklys and growing, i should go with a 48" belt drive to start. Suggestions appreciated?

2. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

If you are going to buy a new mower, that sounds good. You can probably a 2yr old Z rider in pretty good condition for that price too. The Z would probably be more productive and allow you to grow faster but it depends alot on the kind of properties you maintain.

3. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

Agree with grassman. If you got a 48 it will give you an advantage, especially with a velke! But try to find a good rider. In the summer you can go a lot farther on a rider, with less fatigue, than on a 48 that you have been bouncing around on all day. Your knees will not speak to you again.

4. ashlandscaping

ashlandscaping Banned

A 52 walk or surfer would be a great next investment. I would go with the walk if you do mainly homes if you have as mix or larger lots then go with a surfer. I like the surfers over ztr rides for the fact they can go anywhere a walk can go. Best of luck

5. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

save a nother grand i got my great dane chariot for$4995+tax
    it had 25 hrs. on it

6. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Like everyone said, the best deal would be to get a rider if your properties allow. If they don't there is nothing wrong with a w/b...

7. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

There is a Exmark Lazer HP on www.turfquip.com for $3999.00. Sounds like a good deal. There are pictures of this unit and it looks in VGC. Unless you enjoy walking I would look into a ZTR. I was going to buy a WB also, but now I'm glad I bought the ZTR. My legs and ankles are also thanking me for the ZTR. You are the only one that knows what will work for your business.
    Good Luck,
    Mowman

8. double e

double e LawnSite Member

ZTR raduis mower- find a nice used one. Or new WB with sulky

9. tlcgrounds

tlcgrounds LawnSite Member

It seems to me that you have small properties. Even if you didn't here some good advice many others may not lend to you! ZTRS are great things I have two 60"s and a 72". If you are mowing fine textured lawns or recieve lots of rain fall,I feel ztrs are not the ticket. The problem with a smal(44"-52")ztr is that there is not offset deck for trimming and when you outline and go around abstacles you will find that the heavy machine puts A LOT of stress on the truf under the tire path. You will see thin araes and worn tire paths. If you are sold on a ztr I would reccommend buying atleast a 60". You will grow into it easier and roduction would be a lot greater. If you have the lawn and weather conditions above I would recommend a machine that is built like a walker instead of a lazer. The way the machine is designed allows for better turning, the decks are out front for easier trimming, the weight is better distributted BUT watch out in tight areas because that machine has a BIG ASS and I have seen guys take out A/C units with the back end of the machine.
    MY personal advise is to think of how big of a machine you can put on 90% of your properties and go with that deck size in a WALKBEHIND. A 52" and 60" walkbehinds are for less expensive than and ztr. I can vouch that the maintenance on a walkbehind far far far far less than any z we've owned. ANd for the size of properties I think you have you would be doing more getting of and on ztr than mowing. If you have a few large accounts go with a sulkie. If you are leaning twoard a walkbehind I can give you some abjective advise about gear drives vs. hydros, brands, and features if you would like!!!!

10. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

dmk395,You pick your favorite brand and yes a 48 walkbehind is your next step,just remember these words HYDRO IS THE WAY TO GO! Your new HYDRO will outpreform a beltdrive with no problem.
    Good Luck!
    jerryslawnservice@home.com