Here is what I am planning on....

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jdwilliams1, Nov 7, 2004.

1. jdwilliams1

jdwilliams1 LawnSite Member

1 man operation, 15 years in lawn care, selling everything and focusing on my spraying only
    Money no object...yeah right.....but just act like it is many, many post are on this subject but would ask opinions on my situation. Nice truck and long trailer to hold stuff or box truck, I would like to have something enclosed

I currently have z pluggr
    Next spring will have z max sprayer

Here are my services
    Fert squirt
    Tree insect and deep root fert
    Mulch bed weed control
    Mosquito control
    Flea and tick
    Possibly perimeter insect control

Here is my question, given I use ride on I am still going to need tank for tree care, What size, a few smaller 100 g tanks or on big one given fact I will be one man opp and have the ability to carry everything with me in large trailer or box truck, will I need multiple backpacks if so what kind, should I consider one of lescos hydraulic walk behind spreaders for lawns under 5000sq, people seem to thing ride ons are best for lawns over 5000sq. I am interested in know how you experts might set yourself up to provide these services. If you were to stop at one location in july to do a normal app whether it be fert or fert and weed, what would you like to have with you to put down a mosquito app of mosquito barrier and to put an insecticide on ornamentals?

Thanks in advance to all the wonderful application gourus(?) of
    I know many of you have great concepts that are working and I am just curios. Jay
  2. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

I work alone now.
    I prefer to stay that way as long as I can.
    Just now I've got a f-450 w/ 300 gal & 200 gal lesco sprayers.
    There are also brackets for 2 spreaders, 2 hand cans and 2 back pack sprayers.
    I pull a 12ft enclosed sprayer that carries the z-spray (max) and occasionaly the lesco HPS.

Since I picked up the z-spray I don't use the HPS.
    I find I can treat any lawn with the z. Yes even the small ones. They just dont take long at all!

As far as all the insect/mosquito/perimeter sprays, choose your materials wisely and you can do most anything from one sprayer.

You could do bed sprays with a back pack.
    I use lesco back packs myself. They are readily available, they last and parts are easy to come by when I need them.

I am considering the z-trailer for next year. That will mean leaving the enclosed at home.
    I'd prefer to not pull a trailer unless I need too.

Just a thought but rather than buy a whole new z, ask Tom about adding hopper and sprayer to the plugger. I think it can be done.
  3. jdwilliams1

jdwilliams1 LawnSite Member

I appreciate your response, do you have and small lawns with slight or maybe alittle steeper grades that make the z max difficult

Tom did put the hopper and 8' spray boom and I bought tank that is interchangeable with tines, The aerator really is quite heavy and can be difficult to turn when wet, but seems to be ok with hopper full and tank

Pilgrim, what do you put in your large tanks, water or your pre mixed material for z, do you do trees, what do you spray with and what is your prefered tool for deep roots or do you use granular and finally just so you know, Tom is shying away from making trailer because of strict regulations, he wiil still make them if you ask though, his other request was at least a one ton truck, preferebly a dually for more rubber on road. I guess it can get wobbly in some cases.
  4. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Pilgrim, Give me an email will ya? I wanted to touch base with you..... we will soon be neighbors...will explain more l8r.
  5. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

I just got the z a little over two weeks ago.
    The transaxle went on my PG and I didnt want to put more into a machine that I may not be able to completely rely on just now.
    I will fix it over the winter and keep the thing as a stand by.

Anyway, the only trouble I've had is when the grass is wet in the AM on inclines.
    The machine will slide a bit.
    I have used it on a number of properties that have slopes later in the day and there is no problem.

This does not discourage me at all.
    The z-spray is still a much better machine than the pg in my opinion.

As for the spray tanks on the flatbed, I'm using them both right now for tree & shrub.
    One for deep roots, the other for end of year oil and vapor guard.

The z will treat 120.000 ft and I only need to spot spray so I don't need to carry extra juice for it.
    However I do carry a jug of mecamine-d with me and I can easily stop and get water most anywhere should the need arise.