Here is what I'm dealing with.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, Mar 13, 2002.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I was out rolling my measuring wheel at a new customers house when up the block strolls a guy putting real pretty flyers in all the doors. The area consists of middle class families and old houses and lots ranging from 4000 to 7000 sq ft. Lots of old folks and starter houses.
    The company is a multi state larger scale company (not TG/CL). They say they use high quality granular and liquid fertilizer,broadleaf weed control, preemetgent and post emergent crabgrass and annual weed control. They also use preventative grub control and insect control as needed. Completely guaranteed and free callbacks within 72 hours. Here is their pricing:
    5 apps to a 4000sq or lower property is 129.00/year
    5 apps to > 5000sq to 10K property is 189.00/yr prepay

Tree and shrub care 4 application
    99.00 for lawns under 4000sq
    129.00 for lawns between 5 and 10k
    I don't know why they do shrub care by the sq ft of lawn.

Hers is a killer
    Aeration
    39.00 for lawns under 4000sq tax included
    69.00 for lawns between 5 and 10k tax included

I know the game but it is hard to have to try and convince potential customers that I am worth more. Sometimes it works and sometime it doesn't. They are working volume and I am working quality.

My ace is that I am the Local guy and they are not. I cannot charge a much higher price than them for aeration but I know I have better products and service on my fert program.

You have to find the right customers. Good Luck.

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a feeling I know who you're talking about. Name recognition is going to help them a lot. Just received a mailing from them last night. Think I'll have them drop by and give me an estimate to get my free 1/2 lb of Miracle Grow. ;)

3. And how does this fertilizing operation really affect you?

Do these guys mow turf? Dethatch? Trim shrubs and trees?

The fert only guys usually target these lesser neighborhoods for most likely the homeowner mows and trims.

Once you get to the upscale hoods where the homeowners don't do any of their own lawn care and landscape maintenance they are not a factor in any way.

They can keep all the nickel and dime jobs where they have to run around the entire county while I work a tight area making thousands per year per account.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Stone.

Let me also add, usually the name they get from customers will help you in the long run. After a while many customers will not be satisfied. Hang in there, and be consistent. People are watching, even if you don't see them. They notice your reliable and will eventually send you their business.