1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Here we go already.........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Carolina Cutter, May 19, 2005.

1. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Collection ISSUES!!!!!!!!!

Well got my first 2 slow pay/no pay people......agggghhhhhh

I got SOME money from one.......but a longgggg way from the total amount she owes.

The other....NOTHING.....collection letter has been sent but absolutely NO RESPONSE......time for letter number 2 and then its knocky knocky time....if that doesnt work....time to go for a lien and a report to the credit agency.

Anybody else had any problems yet??
  2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

i just makes me mad. i should start charging late fees.
  3. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

everyone might laugh at me, but i collect after every cut and you know what? i've never had anyone stiff me... it may take a little longer but just look at the headache you would've saved by doing so. goodluck with your problem. :)
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It frustrates me, too.
    Here in Virginia, so long they have 'intent' to pay, we have to give them 90 days. And unless they explicitly say 'I am not paying,' it defaults to intent.

So after 30 days, they get a second invoice which states:
    1) The amount due.
    2) The address to send it to.
    3) An add-on which says: Prompt payment voids late fee.

After 60 days, they receive another invoice:
    1) The amount due plus 75 dollars late fee. (yeah cauz FTS!)
    2) The address to send it to.
    3) An add-on which says: Prompt payment voids legal action.

90 days later, 5-day payment due letter which tells them if they do not pay, a lien is put on the house ... By the way, this doesn't work with renters.

I always get my money in the end, but yeah, what a pain.
    By the way, here in Virginia there is no limit to how much you can charge for a late fee, only thing is you have to be able to justify the amount, whatever it is. I personally like 75 dollars, it sends a tough message.

Good luck.
  5. topsites

Yeah and wtf do u do when they're not home?

And just wait until you get the customer that goes inside their house while you're cutting and when you are done, doesn't answer the door, LOL !
  6. topsites

How do you report to the credit ag? I checked with equifax and it involves a LOT of money and bs...
  7. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

85% of my customers arent home during the day when i cut. It would be pretty hard to collect right then.
  8. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

Lawnwizards , how can you get buy with doing that? I mean dont that really slow up your day? Every time I see one of our customers I always get to talking and that just kills my schedule. I love to talk, and I am a firm believer in communication with our clientel but after every job I wouldnt get a thing done. But the no late pay would be nice. On all of our lawn care customers I have only one that is late. And that is one of our high dollar an hour jobs that we do. There billing cycle is sometimes out 60 days but I know that we will get paid. And Ive got a lot of other jobs because of them. They are one of my first jobs we had when we started. But on the other hand landscaping jobs that we do I find my self always waiting for someones check to come. Thank god we require at least 50% down and balance upon completion. but I have waited for final payments on landscaping jobs more that I care to mention. ;)
  9. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

What kind of properties are you cutting? They come out when you arrive and then go inside when youre done? 95% of our customers are retired elderly people that love to gab. the other 5% know when we'll be there and leave us a check on the door. :realmad: I'm not really mad, my 3 year old daughter liked that one and i picked it for her.
  10. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I hate when it has to come down to this. A lot of times its the same ppl that i have to keep reminding, you would be amazed the kind of excuses that i get.