Here's a challange

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by TPnTX, Mar 28, 2008.

1. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

This house belongs to the mayor of my town. He and his wife are interested in outdoor lighting. I need a little inspiring because honestly other than path lights I'm drawing a blank.

IMG_0148.jpg

2. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Ryan,

Hit those columns with some uplights. Back light or cross light the 2 little trees on each side of the walkway.. Highlight that railing at the entry to the porch. Light the little birdbath. Maybe some small accent lighting on the shrubry or you could utilize some of our area enhancement lights to not only light the shrubs but to also get some light on what would normally be a very dark lawn area. Make sure of course you highlight those fireplaces as well. They will give you a nice vertical element. I am sure they like their coach lights but you could replace them with Orion 12's to give you some nice light on the brick there at the entry. You have plenty to work with here!

3. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I will throw my .02 out there. I would look at the brick in the front under the porch. You can hide the fixture with a planter (if the wife likes plants). But it appears the house is on a slab,if not you could hidethe wire under the house. Look at the columns out front. What about 3 lights per chimmey maybe a 50watts on the outside so you can get the height. You could also light the charlie brown trees out front and the sides. What is around back?
    I'm sure some of the seasoned pros will chime in.

4. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Almost what Joey said....

1: instead of uplighting the 4 posts, up/down light them from behind with a NS Dual-liter or similar. that way you will fill the porch with a nice indirect glow and put the posts in silhouette from the street.

2: Gutter mount 3 small soft floods on the roof so that it doesn't look so black compared to below.

3: light the rail structure in front of the porch for sure.

4: graze the chimneys for sure... not 50W though! they are not that tall!!

5: uplight the two trees in front

6: forget the birdbath, it isn't that prominent and will look too asymmetrical if you highlight it.

5. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

Now, what about the back yard?

6. JoeyD

I think a soft little light like the Polaris on the birdbath would be cool, they put it in their yard becuase they like it, I say light it and let them tell you to pull it out.

7. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

Who knows Joey, maybe the mother in law put it there and he hates it?

I have a better idea, why not follow the master's advice... simply ask them first "Why Light?"

:)

8. JoeyD

Always light the fun stuff they have int heir yard. Taht too the master teaches! If they put there it is becuase they like it. If they dont they will tell you not to light it! Simple as that.

9. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

Said it once, I still maintain... lighting the bird bath will throw off the symmetry of a very nice lighting design that could be accomplished there. Everything else about it is symmetrical, why mess it up with light.

Now, if it was a piece of fine art..... but it isnt...

Man are we bored or what?

10. JoeyD

who says lighting needs to be symmetrical? That Bird Bath isnt anything special to you but maybe its special to them