Here's A Design!!!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Gatewayuser, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you guys and girls think about this plan its just a rough draft with no plants, the black areas are beds green areas are grass. Here's the situation, where the deck is where the lawn ends into a slight drop off.
    What I will do is expand the lawn 1st by 5 feet.
    What the customer wants is 3 step plan 1st step is the first long wall 2nd is a lawn that is 2ft down from the first 3rd is another 2ft down to base level. The walls will be made of railroad ties and I will secure them with a T shape tie going into the lawn at least 4 feet and they will all be bolted together. I will put gravel and drainage behind the wall and then put soil over it. What kind of base do I need for the ties or can they just be laid on the ground? Is this design functional especially with the lawns down some steps?
    Thanks!

design.jpg

2. Gatewayuser

By the way each block is 2ft or 1/8 scale .

3. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

The only thing that I see is the Lower beds cannot be serviced easily. Hard to get equipment to and you'll be blowing clippings in the beds. Put down stone or pavers instead of grass on lower levels.....:waving:

4. Gatewayuser

Maybe some red brick chips or lava rock? Thanks

5. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Why are you using timbers? Not that it matters, just wondering.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I would flow the beds all together where it is possible and try to stay away from a bed that has like a bump or extrusuion on each end cuz I they look like dog bones.Or 1/2 dog bones
    and instead of abruptly ending the beds at the corners of the yard...flow the beds around the corners instead.

7. Gatewayuser

Cost, customer request kind of rustic setting.
    Thanks sheshovel!

8. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

You shouldn't need gravel for drainage with railroad ties, the water will seep out through the gaps but you should line the inside of the wall with cloth to keep the dirt in. You will need a base and leave one tie below grade and build on a setback. We built a small timber wall in a class I took but we didn't use a base because it was small. I think crushed concrete screenings would work but I would ask someone in the hardscape department.

9. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

You know what, I am in Florida with sandy soil, you may need gravel, but we don't.

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

roughout of what I mean