1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Here's a good one

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Apr 28, 2008.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Just got a call, this guy paid for a system last fall. The "contractor" put in the system in the yard, and kept saying he'd come back to hook to water and install controller. Never heard form him again. Scheduled to do a tap, PVB, manifold, wiring, and timer end of the month. Unfortunately I don't know the rest of the system or how well installed. He understands that. He had been able to hook to a hose and use it sparingly last year.

I normally would have turned it down, but it's a referral from a neighbor/friend.
  2. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

Not bad. At the very least, you get to sell him the most expensive parts of the system at service rates. at most the in-the-ground stuff needs more work... and more money.

personally, i love the backflow/ timer replacement calls. they're easy, almost no digging, and it's usually over $500.00 in under an hour.

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Strictly T&M on this one. Won't even know what's there until I get there. Sounds like it may be galvanized leading into and throughout the home though. Yikes!! Older home downtown.
  4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I have 1 like that later this week. Like mentioned above , your getting 70% of the install profit for 10% of the work.
  5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed. I don't have to use a shovel except at the manifold. And I bumped my hourly rate for this as well.
  6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Five bucks says it's junk. Do you know the jerk, ah, "contractor"?
    Good reason to check contractor's license & any claims against
    him. We can do it on line up here.
  7. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Yep. Same here.

Looked up a friend of a friend recently for whom I was about to do some consulting/ a little instruction of his new crew/ install backflow preventer and valves for... turned out his workers comp. was expired... wouldn't have effected me, but I was concerned for his employees.

He's current now.
  8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

There is no contractor licensing here. and no, I do not know who did the original portion.
  9. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

I was appalled when I got here and found that out.
  10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Been working for 5 yrs to get it in Mass. State leg realy dosnt have much interest in it.