Heres a little place i'm doing

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by sheshovel, Jun 13, 2005.

1. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Here'r a mnfctured hm I am working on,the old lady pissed me off by putting those rocks all over the place on the hill,she went to visit her daughter so I am going to remove them whilst she's gone.I have a very small buget to work with here but anyway no exuses this is what I did with her little hill.Please ignore the rocks all over the place if you can...
    I also added the wagon wheels and the planting box above with a wall trellis and a Cecil Brunner climbing
    rose,am working on it in my spare time.Duckies were not my idea of looks either but ya gotta let them have some fun with it.

2. Adamma Landscape Group

Adamma Landscape Group LawnSite Member

sheshovel,
    Good job. How much did you get for a small install like this?

3. sheshovel

Well with the 2 planting boxes above I built and planted,and a drip system an tree and some plants on the other side too and some rock,$3000.00 labor only so far. And another $1500.00 before I finish labor only

4. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

If she insists on the rocks take them and put groupings of 3-5 ..will look much better.

5. sheshovel

Yes kris my freind, I know about rock groupings.The cust does not obviously,She had the rocks and I was going to use them but she beat me to it and you see the result of that.

6. kris

from nowhere

cool... I use to do allot of rockerys in the 80's then got away from it ... I learned from a very talented guy that taught me about making them look natural ..picturing them how they would look in the wild...nice curving flows without a solid wall ,leaving spaces ..planting in the pockets... I really miss doing that work. Except the smashed fingers now and then. :)

7. sheshovel

I have done alot of larger boulders and rocks,the secret to making them look natural is to keep your lines/planes flowing/faceing the same way and bury the rock abit into the ground so it looks like they just erroded and broke off each other over millions of years.Useing native rock too, but you can get a good natural look with almost any type of lg rocks if they are all the same kind of rock on that job,yu just can't mix rock.Three to five and even up to seven if you use SM,MD and LG together.
    And also not useing too many or to few.Getting the natural look does take work and patients to learn but once you have it down,you havd developed the "Eye"
    for it and you can do no wrong .It's an art if you ask me.

8. kris

from nowhere

I couldn't agree with you more ... the last one I did that I was actually on site doing the work was about 6 years ago and thats exactly what the customer called me..an artist. :) Might sound corny to some but there is a skill involved ...nice when customers appreciate and notice it.

9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

nice job. even with the rocks the way they are it looks nice.
    a dry creek bed of stone would've looked nice flowing down from the duckies to the bottom using the rocks along the way.