Here's a new one!!!! (Fert Question)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ultracut518, Oct 15, 2009.

1. ultracut518

ultracut518 LawnSite Member

I was fertilizing a lawn today with 24-0-11 Lesco fert, when my cutomer came out of her house and asked me about the health affects of fertilizer. At first I thought she was confused and talking about pesticides since that is a common question I get asked, but she knew what she was talking about and she was indeed talking about fertilizer!!! She was not asking about environmental affects, but affects to human health. Completely caught me of guard!!! What should I tell her, as I have no idea? Thanks

2. cpa4t9r

cpa4t9r LawnSite Member

Uhhhhhhhhhh - like don't eat it lady.....or roll around in it.....or wash your car with it...

Had a buddy who was a chemical engineer that worked for PCI? (Potash something...1st or 2nd largest supplier) and a lot of the cars of the EEs ended up with no paint on the roofs/hoods....nice.

I spool up something about runoff and groundwater but tell her that's not an issue with your expert application methodology i.e. why she pays you. Environmental effects = health effects - at least that's what the gub'ment says.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Now that is amusing. :rolleyes:

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Kiril

But the customer believe it.:)

I don't want to bring on the Tree Huggers but sometimes we have to smootes the customer. My standard answer is to explain their water softener uses Potassium Chloride which is a Element of Fertilizer I use. Now the fact is I actually use SOP. But In order to give the customer what they want we sometimes have to give them what they don't want. They don't want insects or chemicals, But without one they get the other. It is a catch 22.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

FYI, I was commenting on the "your expert application methodology" when the OP is applying 24-0-11 in WI right now.

Not to mention I have seen plenty of "experts" who don't know the first thing about soil and plant fertility ..... witness this site.

6. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

Just give the customer a copy of the MSDS. I like to include a copy of the MSDS for Lysterine as well just to provide a little perspective when they freak out at some of the scary language in the fert MSDS.

7. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

I'm attaching the MSDS for Lysterine. Enjoy.

Attached Files:

8. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks for the info JW, thats a great idea
    to have that on hand for the customer to compare,

btw- i dont think i will ever think of lysterine the same again
    j/k

9. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Just tell her its no different than drinking a tall glass of urin....with a straight face.

10. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Another arrogant comment. There is nothing wrong with 24-0-11. It can be used anytime of the year. Its fertilizer. Applied at 3-4 pounds/M gives the University recommended rate of N for this time of the year. I suppose you have some peer reviewed literature that says 24-0-11 is not good for Wisconsin in October.