heres a no backbreaker way to pull and pick up weeds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Apr 25, 2002.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

this isn't rocket science but if it helps one person then thats great. More and more I find people dont want herbicides in their planting beds..soo..Ie have to manually pull the weeds and most of us hate that grind...so I said to myself I will not be on my hands and knees for hours (I'm tool old for that crap)...went to Lowes and bought a very small pointed shovel head with a standard length handle. Then went to a hardware store and bought a contraption that is about 4 ft long, with a pistol grip handle that you squeeze and the claws at the other end go closed. (I think these things are made to reach canned goods on high kitchen shelves) Simply pop all the weeds out with the chovel, grab a 5 gallon bucket and use the picker-upper-contraption and throw them in the bucket. Yesterday I had a job where i know it would have taken me 3 hours to do it the old way...I was done in an hour and a half...might seem like no big deal but every little effcicieny we can find helps our bottom line (and our bodies of course)

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i agree kitzy. little tricks like that ,over a period of time amount to an education in lco.

3. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

Thats why I always carry a weed hound with me, so I don't have to bend over that much.

4. Pro-Cut Lawns

Pro-Cut Lawns LawnSite Member

Sounds like I plan. I'll give that a try on weeds.

I have a pickup tool like your talking about. I never mow without it laying on my Lazer to pick up trash, rocks,sticks, etc. Used it last week to remove a small black snake from a customers patio. Handiest tool I own!! I carry a spare in the tool box on the trailer. If something happend to my pick up tool I'd have to just load up and go home!!!
    Larry

5. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

will this work for large weeds? deep rooted ones?

6. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I HAD one of those picker upper thingys , I put it on my rider behind the seat , and the next thing I know there were pieces of it every where.. Ohh well Did not even get to try it once...

They have these weed tools, dont know the name but they are usually for popping out dandelions.. It's like a funky fork thing.. Well they have them in large versions so you can stand while popping them out...

7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

STS...the key for me nothaving to bend over was a smallish pointed shovel with a normal long handle...I pulled complete dandelion roots from plants that were at least 6 inches wide and almost as long in the root....this little shovel popped them right out...but then any shovel can do that..the key for me was to leave as as small a hole possible and then use the "picker upper whatchamacallit" to pick up the stuff and put it in the bucket....the smaller the shovel the better it works....I'm not bull----ing you when I say it saved a bunch of time and saved my aching knees...the hard part is finding the "pickerupper" thingy...try hardware stores...could not find it at Lowes or similar stores...only costs a few dolllars

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Just to let anyone interested know, Home Depot has some "pickerupperthingees" available now for $15. They are 36" long.
    My local HD has them out in cardboard display "thingees" in a couple different isles.

Gonna get a pair tomorrow I think.

9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

The pickup tool I have is called the "easy reacher" and is one of the BEST tools I have ever owned. I got it at Home Depot for about $20.00. I would love to be the guy who invented it. LOL

10. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

as far as picking weeds go, have any of you tried flaming them? i've seen that it can be done but haven't bought the stuff to do it with because i'm not sure if it works or not... but if it did then wouldn't that be the way to go when the customer doesn't want herbicides used?