1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Here's a thought

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DJ Contracting, Jun 13, 2007.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

I was having poor cut issues after trying to adjust my deck to cut at the advertised level (i'm getting a 3" inch cut @ the 3 1/2" level), after trying to adjust the deck (to no avail, once I adjusted it to the right hight I could not lock it in the raised position), my pitch was off. So on to my thought. I have read about pitch and all (1/8 to 1/4), any way do any of you put a level on your decks to check, or do you guys just use a tape measure? I used both anyway, here are some pictures of the level and see what you guys think, ignore the title of the pictures

87 plowframe 001.jpg

87 plowframe 002.jpg

87 plowframe 003.jpg

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Looks good to me, I use only a tape. There are very few if any golf course type lawns around here.

3. DJ Contracting

I used a tape too but just thought I would check it with the level I also noticed the the deck on the discharge side has a dip in the middle.

4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought this John Deere deck measuring device off of ebay. It reaches under the deck and measures the blade. It was like $5.00

5. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Wouldn't have been easier to make a mental note about your height. If you want to mow at 3 1/2 inches you would set it at 4 inches. Seems like that would have been alot eaiser to do then wasting time and getting pissed off at the deck adjustments. My lazer is off 1/4 inch. If I want to mow at 3 1/2 inches I set it at the 3 3/4 setting.

6. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Uranus,
    You hit it on the head. I tell people that the numbers are for reference. Not actual height. I just worked on a Home Cheapo JD mower. He was running it at #3 adjustment. It was cutting at 2 inches. I raised his deck adjustment as high as it would go and at the highest adjustment #4 it cut at 3 inches. I told him to run it there. He looked at me funny. I said your lawn will thank me. Around here 4 to 4.5 inches is best.

7. DJ Contracting

Well at the time I did not know that the reference and actual cut were different, now I do and I can let someone else know so they don't have to go through what I went through, and I never got pissed off I just had to work it out.

So how many others use a level?