1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Here's some real competition

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescaretaker, Jun 30, 2005.

1. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

For all of you that moan and grown about scrubs, I saw this today driving by. He's cutting 1/2 acre yards for $10.00 and works sun up to sun down. Go figure.

View attachment Image002.jpg

2. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

how do you know how much he is cutting the yards for?

3. naturescaretaker

4. naturescaretaker

We saw him later that day and asked him. The customer came up also while we were there and paid him the $10.

5. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

That is insane, how long do you think it takes him to mow that 1/2 acre, with his stuff? He would be better off working fast food!

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

u have to pay taxes when u flip burgers

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I almost feel bad for a guy like that. If he's willing to work sun up to sun down, then he's obviously a hard worker, he's just not smart enough to know that he can and should be charging more for his hard work.

I'd probably point him to lawnsite, and hope that he has enough sense to take the info from here and make something of all his hard work.

8. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

point him to what? hire the guy and pay him $11 /hr I bet he can't get one yard all the way finished in one hour. That would be "good money" for this fellow. It's hard to find help that can endure the heat all day.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like a lot of the "rigs" I see around here. Especially the hoodless '79 model 10hp 38" gear drive lawn tractor. He's in-line on pricing too....

10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawnsite?? I'm kinda doubting the dude even owns a computer..

I've heard of cheap guys, but 1/2 an acre, for $10?? what does he net 10 cents a job? I feel bad for the guy too.