1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Here's the cut....1/2 inch!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by powerreel, May 3, 2001.

1. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Dare you to take a rotary to 1/2 inch!
  2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

looks good what kind of grass is it? how often do you cut it?
  3. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Weekly here's the before, notice the MEAN GREEN near the edge!
  4. powerreel

powerreel Banned

This is THE tool:
  5. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

So....powerreel, did you get a new toy?
    I sense that you like this machine....not real sure but I have a feeling that you really like the cut :)
  6. looks good, however how much pesticides have you had to apply to this area? while shorter does appear nicer the longer you go, to a point is healthier. they say to cut at about 3 inches for a healthy turf. if you cut that short then you must be cutting about what, every 3 days minimum? because to remove the 1/3 of the blade at a time @ 1/2 inch then you are cutting after 1/3 of an inch of growth yes? at 3 inches you need what? 1 1/2 inches of growth right? so do what you want. but i am gonna keep my turf high
  7. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

What the sam hell is this is this profitable is this right i cant beleive my eyse how many people use that kind of machine everthing looks nice but i mean this... i cant say anything right now

unbelivavble lol
  8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Somewhere in America there is green grass.

I like it!

Wish I had one now, might be able to get a couple more cuts in before hitting top soil.
  9. Oh yea baby!
    Looks like a Tru-Cut with the double wide tires to boot!
    I love this machine! I use one each week on one of my tif dwarf lawns. The front lawn utililizes paving blocks with the hole in the middle so you can drive the car over and still have a lawn. The owner provides the Tru-Cut as he had to take off the swivel casters up front and retrofit a full roller so as to run smoothly over the pavers. I'll post the pics in a couple weeks and you will see how we do lawns in Hawaii.
    I personally own a 10 blade Kato Pro-Master (out of buisiness) and the cut is awesome, particularly with emerald zoysia.

Lawnboy, we don't apply any pest on emerald zoysia just lots of low mowing (1/4"-1/2") required as thatch will build while we sleep! Must cut and backfill with sand on low spots and dethatch when the reel starts scalping (usually once a year). High maintenace lawns but the look is awesome!

I'll post some pics of my Lanikai Zoysia lawn soon as we just renovated the entire lawn and it should be up to standard in about a month. Meanwhile I will get some pics of the tifdwarf cut w the Tru-Cut soon.

Powereel, jus keep on mulching. Looks great. With all that Washington rain I don't know why everone don't use reel mowers!
  10. DeepDivot

DeepDivot LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Love that thick, zoysia grass. Like plush pile carpet. Other than the occasional dethatching it requires no overseeding, less water, less fertilizer, less herbicides and, dare I say it here, less mowing. While generally 1/2" height is reserved for golf courses and 2" is more typical for lawns, if one decided to mow at 3" and took 1/3 of the growth, you'd probably only mow every 3-4 weeks. My previous yard was almost an acre of the lush stuff, currently, I've only got it for a driving range tee box, but the divot holes never need refilling. Did I mention I love it?