Here's the situation, what do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, Mar 23, 2000.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

I'm 16 and live in Jackson, MS...i have been saving up for a year now and have about 8,000 to spend on a car, and all of it will get spent after i pay for insurance and stero and all that i want to do to it, that will leave me pretty broke...i have a 6x10 trailer and a 36" SCAG...i have about 40 yards lined up already, and would expect to get more like 50 before the summer rolls around. I'm in the 10th grade and have this summer, next summer, than hopefully one more summer...what i'm trying to decide is if i should buy a ZTR with these circumstances, or if i should just keep using the 36" any other ideas would be appriciated...
  2. What good is a car in the lawn business?<br>I suggest you buy a 1985 or newer full<br>size american pickup 8 foot box. <br>Just get a two wheel drive that some old<br>retired guy bought new and has been used<br>not abused (like normal work trucks).<p>Then buy a handy ramp end gate to replace<br>the tailgate. <p><p>
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

You asked me this same question, but what you forgot to mention is that your going to college after highschool. This is a hard question for anyone to answer. It depends on if your going to do lawns during and after college. It depends on if this car your buying will pull a bigger ZTR. There are a lot of things here you will have to decide for yourself.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
  4. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Any 16 year old who has managed to save $8,000 seems pretty bright. You sound like your doing great, are you planning PT college, or FT? The ZTR will make you more money faster than the Scag. My advice, buy the better equipment and hold onto it until after your first year of school. If you stay in school, and do not plan to return to Lawn Care, then sell it.