Heres what my customer said to me.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cheesedawg1, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I emailed this lady and asked her this:

Hello,

I figure your lawn must be overwhelmed with leaves with all the trees behind your house. Are you interested in having them removed? If you are I can come by and give you a free estimate. Just get back to me. Chirag

Here is what she said:

Good morning Chirag,

I received your flyer on Friday. After discussion with Bob we've decided that we like your initiative and would like you to tackle the work needed in our gardens and yard. The reason I've never had one of the landscapers in to work on the garden is that most of them know nothing about gardening and only know about making one house look like all of the other houses in the development. I was just talking
    with one of my friends last week, who is a Master Gardener, about putting an ad in some of the gardening magazines for a gardener. I anticipate that "fall cleanup" should take you 6 to 8 hours and then I'll need you again next year for maintenance. The catch is that you and I will have to spend an hour walking through the gardens so that I can show you what is a weed and what needs to stay. On the plus side, if you pull out something that is a plant as opposed to a weed I'm not going to be upset. So, this is perfect on the job training for you. I can provide the
    basic gardening tools (rake, shovel, pruning shears). Below is a list of what I need to have done.
    -----------------

Lawn:
    Final cut that will shred leaves. Shredded leaves remain on the
    lawn for
    self-fertilization.

Front garden:
    Weed
    Put down mulch (I'll provide mulch)
    Remove the dead evergreen bushes
    Trim remaing evergreen bushes
    Trim butterfly bush (this gets trimmed as close to ground as
    possible)

Side back garden:
    Weed (this hasn't been done in 2 years so will take a while)
    Mulch

Feel free to pick and choose if you don't want to do the whole list. As we both know, anything that you do will be an improvement over the nothing that has been done in the last 2 years.

Thanks,
    Mari

2. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Now does it really take many of you guys an hour to give an estimate????????? How much is 8 hours of your time worth?

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You will learn something here, It will be flowers that LOOK like weeds Or that she is too much of a pain and a waist of time.
    John

4. lost mountain

lost mountain LawnSite Member

So what's your take on this CheeseDawg?
    Is it that they want to find a gardner they can all share?

5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Cheesedawg, This client could be a cash cow! Agree to do the work. No price breaks. Charge what your time is worth. Charge them for the walk-through, this will let them know that you are not about to give away your services. I have a couple of customers that fit this description and they are very profitable for me. Kick me a p.m. if you need more input. One word of caution however, dont let them get too deep into your pocket until you can see how the cash is going to flow. Take on something that they want done and get paid for that project alone before tackling any others.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It sounds to me like people that won't understand that it takes a minimum of $40 an hour just to keep a business afloat. YOu will be pruning and such, and they will say at the end of 4 hours work. "HOW MUCH!!" "All you did was this and that!"
    THey may be thinking you're like the neighbor kid who is coming by to rake leaves. Make SURE you are getting what you're worth to cover your expenses.

7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont know if you noted how young our friend cheesy is. Id immagine the client is thinking minimum wage plus a hot chocolate.

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

"The reason I've never had one of the landscapers in to work on the garden is that most of them know nothing about gardening and only know about making one house look like all of the other houses in the development."

I think this statement says it all.

9. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I second what dvm said. Be careful with people who claim to be a "master gardener" or who have friends or relatives who are. These people might have studied and taken classes, but have little hands-on training.

10. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

This client is looking for a laborer to do what she says. Id pass.