Here's your chance......HR-1 leaks

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by SprinklerGuy, May 17, 2006.

1. Your chance to laugh at me now

I have a client w/ the old Rainbird valves that are compatible with the Hardie HR-1 bonnet/diaphragms. I do not know the model number..please forgive me.

Anyway, he had bad diaphragms...imagine that, I convinced him to change all of them as his manifold is in a small tight area and built w/ copper.....and it was April 1st and I did not want to dig as I had 10 other places to start up that day. I digress....

2 of the valves leak when they run....they are fine when they are not running, but while operating they leak under the bonnet....and fill up the box. WTF? Never seen this in all my years. Screws are tight....

Replace them I suppose eh? What am I missing.?

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen quite a few do that - spray out or leak when running but ok when shut off. Not sure of the problem. Just replace.

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Can't tell you on your Rainbird/Hardie configuration but I can relate a similar problem we used to have. Several years ago Irritrol changed the configuration of it's diaphragm lip and bonnet edge on the Century Plus (FC-100) model valves. The diaphragm was given a lip and the bonnet was given a recessed valley to accept this lip as a way of better sealing. If you used an older "unlipped" diaphragm with the new bonnet or a "lipped" diaphragm with with an old bonnet then leakage would occur during operation only.

4. I told the client that the fix may or may not work forever....but I doubt he remembers that ;)

Anyone want to help me dig sometime in the next 4 weeks when I can get to him?

Sigh

5. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Tony,

I think those are the old EV or EP series valves.

They do tend to spit after servicing. This may sound simple, but many times taking the bonnet off and using a different tightening sequence works. Kinda like tightening lug nuts - use a cross pattern and do it in stages. Snug, then tight. And use a different starting screw.

Hope that helps. may need new bonnets.