Here's your sign

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lampeslawnservice, May 24, 2006.

1. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

About a month ago I ket a call from a neighbor of a long time customer saying how much she likes our work, blah blah blah. Has a Clean up job that needs to be done. I am thinking great it's the first of May and I have been done with my cleanups for a month now, really don't want to do another one. But bid it anyway at a substantially higher fee than normal and they accepted. Great, I am thinking high profit job I will squeeze in on my free time. I told her Mondays and Saturdays are the only time I have for these types of jobs. Alright here where it satrts to go down hill. The first monday it rained, the first saturday it rained. Phone rang. "When are going to come? I need you here yesterday!" Oh no, I thought this ones gonna be a PITA. So finally get the yard clean up done along with some other odd stuff that wasn't included in my estimate. All to make her happy because I did make alot in a little while. Then when we are getting ready to leave she asks with her Jim Beam induced breath (literally) if I wanted to mow on a weekly basis? Heres your sign. Yesterday as the guys get out to mow she comes out yellin. "You better lower those mowers down because it looks like he didn't even do anything last time." I mow all lawns at 3" or higher. One of the guys mowing was one who helped on the cleanup and said he thought about dropping it down to 1.5 and just let the dirt fly now that would have been the perfect ending to my story but instead shes just gonna get a big F.U.burger in the mail with my final bill.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No, no, no... I think you can either learn how to handle drunk customers or when you see them coming, run !
    You had the opportunity when she asked you with alcohol on her breath to cut her grass to say no, but you accepted.

As for me, I stopped drinking about 6 years ago so for a long time I couldn't deal with the drunks (meaning those who get drunk frequently). Nowadays, they are either the easiest or the hardest customers to deal with, you never know what's coming but for the most part they pay and are not that bad so long you know they're usually easy if somewhat unpredictable.

Now if you find you can't tolerate drunks, just tell her you are sorry but she will have to find someone else for these services.
    There are some I can deal with, most I still can not.

3. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Topsite you sure like to write long sentences.:dizzy: