Herky - Jerky Hydraulics

Discussion in 'Great Dane' started by jim dailey, May 6, 2004.

1. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I have a used GDSS w/18 hp. Kohler. The hydraulics are unbeleivable. I have adjusted for neutral on the sticks. I have changed the hydro filter. The fluid is old. With open throttle, there is NO cutting straight. Either one side or the other will suddenly grab and throw you off of a straight row. Down with the throttle, and blade speed, and you have to constantly play with the sticks to TRY and stay straight. Instead of lessening my workload, this machine has tripled it. My arms are sore at the end of the day, needless to say what the lawns look like! I have the owner's manual, and that is not helping. Maybe someone else has had this happen to them. This is my 1st hydro, so... Any and all help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. I sure hope that the pumps are not gone. Thanks, everyone, for your time.

2. Tech Guy

Tech Guy LawnSite Member

Jim,

Try tightening all of the linkages- they tend to get sloppy on hydro units as they get hours on them.

Besides adjusting for neutral- you may have to have adjust for one pump being stronger than the other.

Unfortunately you don't know what the maintenance history is on this machine. It wouldn't hurt to have the hydro fluid changed and the fluid checked for particulates in it.

A dealer could also pressure test the pumps for you in a bout an hour to determine if the pumps are okay.

I would start with the simple things first though.