Hernia anyone?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BrianK10, Aug 16, 2004.

1. BrianK10

BrianK10 LawnSite Senior Member
    from usa

Hey All.

Went to the doctor for my yearly physical last week (need one to play college soccer), and wasn't able to be cleared by the doctor to play. I was planning on waiting till the end of my soccer, and mowing season for surgery. Well, now that my plan has been shot to he||, I'm scheduled for surgery on Friday. I'm worried about the toll it will take on my schedule (meaning time not working), and recovery time needed just to feel 100% again. For those who have had a hernia(s) before, how long did it take you to recover? I have help already scheduled for next week (since I'm solo), but I don't want to be out for too long. Anyone have any stories/experiences with a hernia during the season? Thanks..

Brian

2. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Brian,
    Yup had one about 10 years ago, I don't remember how long it took to recover. I would think around a week later you could be doing some things.

I also had knee surgery a year later in the middle of the season as well. That Sucked!!! I could not do anything for like a month.
    Well that's what the doctor said anyway. I had a lot of help from my 2 brothers, and hired an employee. As soon as I could bend my leg a little bit, I went and purchased a Scag Turf Runner.
    Good luck to you, hope you have a speedy recovery.

Jason

3. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

It really depends on you personally. I had mine 24 years ago and it took about 2 weeks, but the surgery is way different now. All I remember is coughing, laughing, sneezing were all VERY painful while healing. Best o' luck to you for speedy recovery.

4. Lawnboy112

Lawnboy112 LawnSite Member

I've had two. They suck. Took me a little for than a week for me. Good luck.

5. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

I had one fixed in December 96. I wasn't supposed to drive for a week or so. Took it easy for a month and came out ok. Nothing to screw around with. Listen to your doc, most know what they're talking about.

6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Thank god no but I do have 2 torn rotator cuffs one in each shoulder that have made this season rather painful at times.

7. IMPACT

IMPACT LawnSite Member

No hernias here, but the wife does about 10 surgeries a week for them(OR nurse). Really simple procedure in many cases, just take it easy until you feel 100% again. Oh yeah, listen to your Doc!! I am having trouble with Plantar Faciaitis this year. If anyone else has it, you know it sucks. Oh yeah, got to have the right knee scoped out in December, merry Christmas to me!

8. TrueTrim1

TrueTrim1 LawnSite Member

About two years ago I had two hernias (one on each side) repaired at the same time. I had the traditional surgery (full incisions, not the more expensive orthoscopic procedure).

I was able to walk (painfully) the same day, and back to normal light activity in about two weeks. Iwas told not to lift anything over 40 pounds for about six weeks, and I took the doctor's advice. As other's have stated, you definitely want to listen to your doctor on this one. You don't want to be back in having sugery again a few weeks later.

Also, as A1 mentioned, it depends on the person, and, I might add, the doctor also. A friend of mine had a hernia repaired through the gold card program (government paid free health care- read "very slow") And he could barely get out of bed for two weeks, let alone do any kind of normal activity.

If I were you, I might look into the orthoscopic surgical procedure. It is quite a bit more expensive, but I hear the the recovery rate is much faster

9. TrueTrim1

TrueTrim1 LawnSite Member

I meant to say "endoscopic surgery."

Also, now that I think about it, 40 pounds sounds a bit much. It was probably closer to 20.

10. CapnDean

CapnDean LawnSite Member

Had endoscopic sugery on Friday.

On Sunday I gingerly moved my Ford 3000 tractor from my neighbors place to mine.

On Monday I went to work and was sorry I did (I was a classroom teacher at the time). By Wednesday of that week I was fine...had to be careful and not get up too quick.

Fast recovery!